Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Little View Post
    Thanks, guys. Great tips. I'm going to find some al flux. Do you guys suggest using 1100 rod? Or is 4043 good for this old 1948 car?
    Thanks again
    Little
    1100 all the way. 4043 ( and 4047) is actually an old alloy used for brazing believe it or not. Its high silicon content lowers the melting point below most wrought alloys, but it also makes the weld more brittle and unsatisfactory for sheet work. Your nose im guessing is either 2S or 3S as these were the most common at the time for body work, 1100 is the correct rod for it. Good Luck!
    -Aaron
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

this might be of interest.
    http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/c...lloys.asp?id=2
    although not the site i was looking for so i'll keep looking.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    this might be of interest.
    http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/c...lloys.asp?id=2
    although not the site i was looking for so i'll keep looking.

Yeah thats in the family of things to stay away from when doing sheet work or anything that moves. Brazing is normally used for putting in fuel filler necks and other bungs in tanks. 4047 is a great brazing alloy, as is 4043. Just use the old brazing formula flux and away you go.

-Aaron

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

HTS2000

Looks pretty amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC9d1AroXR4
    RoyB
    Dartmouth, MA

http://www.rvbprecision.com

Millermatic 185 MIG
    Miller Diversion 165
    Purox W200 O/A
    Grizzly 9957 Mill
    Grizzly 4030 Metal Band Saw
    Grizzly 1050 Knife Belt Sander
    Jet 1236 Metal Lathe
    TP Blast Cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
    HTS2000

Looks pretty amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC9d1AroXR4
    See my previous posts in this thread about that stuff. Either weld it, braze it, or solder it....but stay the heck away from that stuff if you care about the part your working on. The real materials are less expensive anyway.
    -Aaron

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Quote Originally Posted by Aerometalworker View Post
    See my previous posts in this thread about that stuff. Either weld it, braze it, or solder it....but stay the heck away from that stuff if you care about the part your working on. The real materials are less expensive anyway.
    -Aaron
    Now they are falling in love with that crap over at Hobart as well.

Sheesh

Anybody that did much repair learns to hate that junk pretty quick when you have to get it all out to fix it right.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Aaron/Aero-
    Are you using Kent's mystery flux or Allstate #? I'm proficient with TIG but I'd like to try my hand at gas welding AL. (A&P since '93)
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MR.57 View Post
    Aaron/Aero-
    Are you using Kent's mystery flux or Allstate #? I'm proficient with TIG but I'd like to try my hand at gas welding AL. (A&P since '93)
    -Matt
    Matt,
    I use both, The Allstate # is 35 for the welding flux. I too started with Tig, then graduated to the torch for real professional work on sheet.
    -Aaron

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder