Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Idling a Machine

Will Idling a Miller Machine have any effect on its lifespan?

I use my Syncrowave 200 as a 115V/15A power source for 2-3 hours a day (not burning some poor unfortunate piece of aluminum) to run grinders, drills, a lathe, and a vacuum. Will this have any negative effect on the life of the machine?
    SYNCROWAVE 200
    Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
    Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
    Makita Everything else
    2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
    "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
    USA 15T, 15V

www.myspace.com/blackbird455

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder

Why don't you unplug it then use that outlet to plug in your vacum/lathe/etc?
    Hee hee....if you're like me, you go back and forth between projects, that's why you do what you do. My personal opinion, would be: yes, wearing down the machine. I'm not sure HOW much of the machine its hurting, but I would guess the motherboard is being used....maybe a miller tech can chime in and say if it does hurt the mb or not...
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Uhhh........Bert We are talking about a 220 machine that has a really big plug
    SYNCROWAVE 200
    Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
    Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
    Makita Everything else
    2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
    "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
    USA 15T, 15V

www.myspace.com/blackbird455

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder

Being it's a transformer type machine. The transformer is ready to weld all the time the machine is on. Transformers in general loose capacity over their lifetime. That said it will take years maybe decades for the machine to degrade to a noticeable point. We had a HH135 and when it was new it would weld 1/4" plate in a single pass well fifteen years later after being run at full throttle most of the time over heated a few times, it's lucky to weld 1/8" plate in a single pass.
    So best advice is to shut it down when not in use.
    Kerry
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Default Blackbird

Bert We are talking about a 220 machine that has a really big plug
    Oops, my bad
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

If you don't have to turn the welder on to use the 120 outlet, witch I don't think you do, it should not hurt any thing. I never used the 120 outlet on my Sync 250 so I don't know for sure if the welder needs to be switched on to use it.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Smile

burninbriar: You made me go out in the COLD garage and look. The Sync250 outlets aren't hot unless the welder is turned on. And if the x-formers suck electicity as rumored, I'd find another outlet.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

makes sense that you would have to have the machine on, power going in is 220 and the power going out is 110.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

I'm trying to figure out why someone would spend money on electricity to run that Synchrowave when all that is needed in an extension cord

What am I missing here?
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird455 View Post
    Will Idling a Miller Machine have any effect on its lifespan?

I use my Syncrowave 200 as a 115V/15A power source for 2-3 hours a day (not burning some poor unfortunate piece of aluminum) to run grinders, drills, a lathe, and a vacuum. Will this have any negative effect on the life of the machine?

You've got alot of wierd answers here, but the end result of this action is no, you will not cause problems with this machine, even if your run off your 115vac 12 hrs a day / 7 days a week.