Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7018 root pass

Default general reply

just a quick hello to everyone ,in response to s berry, if they are breaking 6010 welds on bend test , then im sorry to say the welder should not be welding. If i can add my 2 cents worth of experience,first of all ive read about some of you using 7018 for root passes, that is a no no ,and you would never see a certification with that on your proceedures. secondly, apprentice welder spoke of passing his f4 and you have to weld the whole joint with 7018, well that is correct but that is for a plate cwb weld test only and the f4 designation means all position f4 being the last position you would test for and it being the overhead position. pipe welding is a different creature altogeather and i wouldnt recommend a new welder to begin his or her career on pipe .Anyone who can weld comfortably and consistently would be a good candidate for pipe. good luck and feel free to drop me a line with any questions,

apprentice welder are you welding lap joint or butt welds??? this would clear up this whole senerio
    your only as good as # 2 cuz no matter how good you are there is always someone better"
    2006 DODGE Dualy Quad Cab
    PIPELINE IS THICKER THAN BLOOD!!!
    here is all the pictures of my rig www.cardomain.com/ride/2520047/1

Quote Originally Posted by lynx_welding View Post
    apprentice welder are you welding lap joint or butt welds??? this would clear up this whole senerio
    Butt joints on 3/8 plate.

this is welds you have to do in school
    your only as good as # 2 cuz no matter how good you are there is always someone better"
    2006 DODGE Dualy Quad Cab
    PIPELINE IS THICKER THAN BLOOD!!!
    here is all the pictures of my rig www.cardomain.com/ride/2520047/1

They were simple fillets on 3/8 plate one side and they put them in a press, bent them back almost flat and it would tear the root open which is what they wanted to look at. there was a single root and 2 more passes of lo-hi. I used lo-hi on the root when he wasn't looking and he absolutely squash that plate flat and it didn't tear out, he was pretty PO'd actually, I still remember this guy.

Default 7018 reply

Reading replies on this site for some time. thought I would jump in. My first reply on here, so go easy on me guys.
    On your last reply, you said you were welding on 3/8 plate, with a butt joint. If that is overhead, it would be a groove weld in 4G. If it were a T joint, it would be a fillet weld in 4F. You have had some good replies. Normally a groove weld, wouldn't be made with a open root, with a 7018. It would be frequently be made with a 6010/6011 type rod for root, followed be 7018, for remaining passes. If all 7018 is called for, normally a backer, is used. If a T joint is used, backing isn't a issue, and it is a fillet.
    Normally most tests, are based on a WPS, that has to be followed, from amperage, base metal, voltage, filler metal, joint geometry, welding position, to direction of travel, etc. We have to stay within the operating limits of the WPS, and stay away from the thought, they we "have a better way", and go outside of the WPS. Well enough of that.

Try to keep your joint fit up, close. Work on joint prep accuracy with good bevels and land. Before you start your weld, you want uniformity and accuracy of your gap spacing and bevel. Anything that is not the same, has to be dealt with through operator skill. The skill will come with practice, but control what you can, right now.

You have a instructor. Hopefully they are in the booth with you sometimes. Someone over your shoulder, to help guide you, is valuable. Ask for that, and don't let corrective suggestions, hurt your pride. Acceptance of ideas and suggestions, creates a better welder, regardless of experience level. Good Luck.

Thanks guys for all the help, its really helped alot. In response to north1, your right, it is easier to use a back up plate, 6010 root, etc. But from what I heard New Brunswick is the last province to use a 7018 rod for a root pass for government reconized welding tickets. But it`ll be a great skill to have once I do figure it out. And yes my instructers are great! They have helped me alot with their amazing welding skills. Thanks again north1.
    Last edited by apprentice welder; 03-26-2008 at 05:28 PM.

Just to clarify. 4F is a fillet weld in the overhead position. F4 is a designation for a weld using a filler metal with an AWS classification F-number of 4, basically your low-hi rods. F3 would mean your 6010/6011 type rods.
    In B.C. an F4 (7018) root/cap pipe is required training for an 'A' ticket. Also an F5 (stainless) root/cap. The 7018 root is good practice for the stainless test. They are similar compared to 6010 roots.

out of pure curiosity, what is an "A","B","C" ticket in BC. ive got my sk. 6" "B" and my alberta small-bore "B". from what i understand, a "C" ticket here is only valid with the companyyou tested with, am i wrong?
    07 f350 duallie w/deck
    07 tb302d
    2011 big blue pro 300 cat
    victor torch
    matthey beveler
    assorted hand tools

Thanks OldSparks, I didn't really know what they ment when they called them F3 and F4 tickets! I just knew what it allowed you to weld (structual welds with 6010/6011 and 7018) and what you had to do to get it.