Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flap discs

Default Norton

The norton gemini stuff is ok. the NorZon stuff is the shizzz, but crazy expensive. The nice thing about abrasives that last is you concentrate on working rather than changing out. Plus you tend to try to get a bit more out of the blade or disk and probably wait longer than you should to swap...

So if one is 3 times more expensive but lasts at least 3 times longer it gets my vote...
    John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
    MM 175
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Blue Star 185 DX
    Spectrum 375

you definitely want to give them a try. the lehigh valley are a great deal. they also have the ones with the thread built into the disk now if you want that kind. its $2.35 per disk for them.http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com...ble/Categories
    may not be up to the walter standard but the walters are about $9.5 per disk. for the $ its hard to beat the Valley guys, good quality and a decent price.
    once you start using them you will never stop, great for all kinds of stuff from prep to finish.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I have used www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com for a couple of years and think their products are better than the stuff I find at HD plus much less expensive when you factor in large (annual) purchases, no sales tax and reasonable shipping (on large buys). Honestly, they wear better than the OTC stuff at the big box stores.
    Miller XMT-350 CC/CV
    Miller S-22A wirefeeder
    Bernard 400A "Q" gun
    Miller 30-A Spoolmatic w/WC-24
    CK 210 & WP-18 GTAW torches
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    O/A Rig, Enco 4x6 bandsaw, etc.

I had been using the Forney brand at $4.79 per disk. Used about 50-70 last year.

A buddy of mine brought me a box of 10 that he picked up at a small discount tool store.
    The disks are made in China just as the Forneys are, seem to last just as long tho.
    The best part $13.00 per box of 10.

Heading over there in a little while, will buy all I can.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Default flap discs

I use them all the time....... have a 5" grinder dedicated to them

makes a nice finish after a regular grinder.

once you try them you will never be without them
    Millermatic 212
    3035 Spool gun
    Miller Spectrum 375

I use a Walter brand. Kinda of expensive, but they work great. Also I like the ones with the hub in them, alll ready threaded so requires no wrench to change. You usually pay for what you get, but if you only use it once in ahwile cheap is OK.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

i'm going to order some of the vally brand with the hub threaded in 120 grit. i have been using the walters. kinda gotten addicted to the built in nut/threaded part. i suppose ya just have to decide if the built in nut is worth $0.56 each?
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default nuts!

Just wanted to mention my grinders are the Metabo whivh have a nut you just spin on and off with your fingers, but I still like the ones with the nut cause you can change them 1,2 ,3 even with your gloves on!

Happy Flappy...
    Last edited by Handy560; 03-21-2008 at 08:38 AM.
    John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
    MM 175
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Blue Star 185 DX
    Spectrum 375

I have Metabos also, their great. I dont have the quick change ones though, Not having the nut to fool with is worth .56 to me I charge them to the job anyway.
    But if I only used them once in awhile, and was never in a hurry, it would save you $5 every ten discs, the Walters are high enough as it is
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

check this site ... I have been happy with their disc and support.
    http://stores.channeladvisor.com/bul...ve%20products/
    Jim