Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flap discs

Default Flap discs

I've never used a flap disc but many of you brag on them. It was $4.97. I use soft pads a lot. Will a flap disc last as long as say 5 soft pads considering they cost over $1 each at local hardware stores? If so they will be worth their cost if they do. Comments?
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

I get the flap disks from
    http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com/servlet/StoreFront

$1.79 for each flap disk. The shipping is not real cheap so you might want to order large quantity with a friend.

These are quality flap disks. I used type 29 (conical).
    Millermatic Passport Plus
    Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
    XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
    Dynasty 300 DX
    Thermal Arc 400 MST
    Victor O/A
    Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

I am just a hobby welder, but I like the flap disks. In fact I may be more of an expert on them than the real welders because I get more practice grinding because of the poorer quality of my welds and fitups. I have some from Northern that I like, but I am about to try Lee Valley because of the comments on this forum. If you buy 10 at 1.79 and add 9.50 shipping, that is 2.74 per disk, a pretty good deal. I think most recomment the 60 or 80 grit zirconia.

We use a lot of flap discs at work for finishing welds or other not so attractive finishes that "appear" on finished parts. They are really quite versatile, although they do remove metal differently (not always right at the centre of the contact, and have a larger contact surface) so you have to pay a little closer attention. In some cases they may actually remove metal faster than a regular grinding disc since they are sort of like a belt sander in nature, but obviously they are not the greatest for cutting out welds and the like.

If I was you I would just go to the LWS and pick up one to see if you like, and if you do look for the best price to order in bulk.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Thumbs up

I have been using http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com/servlet/StoreFront
    flap disks for several years. I get a 10 pack of 40 to 80 grit.

Default Flap away...

Monte pick up a couple and check them out. I think you will wonder how you did without them! I am reaching for mine all the time; basically having a dedicated grinder for them.

The 60 grit ones take off material faster than you might expect. The do not leave scratches like a hard disk and they do last pretty long if you are not trying to take down large amounts of material all the time. If you have a 60 and an 80 your in good shape for a start.

On flat surfaces you need to take care because although you will not leave scratches you can make it look wavy.

Another difference is that the edge is not square (and quicly gets more rounded) so you need to get out that hard stone for squaring out an inside corner.

Personally I REALLY like the ones that have the 5/8" threaded arbor built right on. They are a bit more expensive, but I do the same with the hard wheels and you can change wheels in like 10 seconds.

I usually have the 5" with a thin kerf cut off wheel, a die grinder with a stone for hard to reach stuff and a 4 1/2" with the flapper which I switch to a hard stone when I need to take a lot of material down or get in a fillet corner/square. I could set up yet another grinder, but the cords already get to be a pain and then I will need to post with the guy with the armoured cable cord protector

I have noticed a pretty large difference in the quality of all these abrasives. Funny thing is you don't realize your using crappy stuff until you happen on a really good one! Then you're like WOW, these are awesome.

Happy shopping
    John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
    MM 175
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Blue Star 185 DX
    Spectrum 375

Default Lots and lots....

We couldn't operate without flap disks and probably use up a couple dozen a week due to the nature of our work (finish steel contractor/gates, hand rails, lighting etc.) We all switched to Hilti tools several years back and also started using their consumables and fasteners. Although Hilti has a hefty price tag, their quality is far superior to anything out there and I would say the same about their flap disks. Check them out here: http://www.myhilti.com/holcom/module...rue&OID=-25276

Flap away!

TacMig
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

I've been using the Forneys for close to 10 yrs.
    Heck Wal-Mart even has Black and Decker ones!!!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Default Hilti cut off...

Hi Tacmig...

Just a heads up. I have almost as many, actually more red hilti boxes in my shop than blue and I love them. But the other day I tried a couple Hiliti thin kerf cut off disks (5") and I was pretty disappointed how quickly they burnt down. Never tried the Hilti Flappers.
    John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
    MM 175
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Blue Star 185 DX
    Spectrum 375

I tried hilti 4-1/2" cut-off disks vs. Nortons...Hilti's are so flimsy!!! Everything else that I've used of Hilti's is #1 (hammers and drills)!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time