Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Nascar Chassis's

Any nascar chassis builders on here or people that know the process that they use for their chassis?

How many do they build during the yr ?
    What material is used ? and size ?

Just a few questions to get the motorsport forum going?

Rich
    Last edited by Fortyfords; 02-27-2008 at 10:26 AM.

Rich,
    Good question.

NASCAR tightly regulates the chassis and materials. The chassis are mild steel tubing. The sq frames are .120 wall and the other tubes vary from .065 up to .090 1 3/4 tubing depending on where the tube is located and how critical the tube is. Most of the main safety tube is 1 3/4 .090
    The cars can be TIG or MIG welded and each chassis must get inspected by NASCAR before it gets a ser# and is allowed to race. Most of the suspension parts are TIG welded. IE: upper and lower control arms, shock mounts, spindles etc.

Check out some of my pics from Daytona.

Andy

Default Crome moly?

Quote Originally Posted by ASKANDY View Post
    Rich,
    Good question.
    The chassis are mild steel tubing. The sq frames are .120 wall and the other tubes vary from .065 up to .090 1 3/4 tubing depending on where the tube is located and how critical the tube is. Most of the main safety tube is 1 3/4 .090
    Check out some of my pics from Daytona.

Andy
    Is the rollcage MS?? Certified racing rollcages are works of art.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Andy,

Could you touch base on what, if any, NDT testing process that are performed on the chassis.

(Just trying to keep the thread going.)

Regards,

Scott

Andy ,thanks for the reply and the pics
    Looking forward to your other process type pic's you made reference to.

Rich

Love the power of Blue
    Millermatic 200
    Sync 200
    Lots of Tools!

Default chassis

Quote Originally Posted by Craig in Denver View Post
    Is the rollcage MS?? Certified racing rollcages are works of art.

I'am a former nascar cup car fabricator. As andy stated the chassis and cages are mild steel.

Exclamation Mild Steel, Wow!!

Quote Originally Posted by linkpin View Post
    I'am a former nascar cup car fabricator. As andy stated the chassis and cages are mild steel.
    linkpin:
    YOU are a lucky man. I'm a former desk jockey.

Thanks for your reply. I would have lost a LOT of money if this were a bet.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Exclamation Wow Is Wright

I`ve been around dirt track racing all my life and have welded on many chassis ,big block modified are DOM ,sprinters are chrome moly and even racing karts are chrome moly. i`m very surprised

Default wow

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMI View Post
    I`ve been around dirt track racing all my life and have welded on many chassis ,big block modified are DOM ,sprinters are chrome moly and even racing karts are chrome moly. i`m very surprised

The rules require the cars to be about 3500lbs. So there would be no real advantage to using 4130

Quote Originally Posted by linkpin View Post
    The rules require the cars to be about 3500lbs. So there would be no real advantage to using 4130
    Be a shame to waste all the good material in banked oval demo derby anyway

Seriously though, what is the life expectancy of one of those chassis, 1 race, maybe 2?? Maybe thats why racers get away with sins in welding process that would never last in other avenues. I have co-workers that have come from GM and Ford's engineering group, and they all aggree that the performance end of those companys can teach a lot about performance, but little about lifespan.

-Aaron
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)