Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default All-State #31 aluminum rod

I have a box( approx 5 lb) of All-State #31 aluminum rod I've had for 30 years. We used this with Alcoa #22 pink flux which is a powder to be mixed with water to form a paste to gas weld repairs on aluminum
    refrigeration coils etc. Does anyone know if this can be used with tig? It says on the box..Aluminum(GAS) on the box. It was difficult to weld because of the oil in a refrigeration system that would be present at the weld area. I would say my success rate was about 50%. Anyone familiar with this product?
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    I have a box( approx 5 lb) of All-State #31 aluminum rod I've had for 30 years. We used this with Alcoa #22 pink flux which is a powder to be mixed with water to form a paste to gas weld repairs on aluminum
    refrigeration coils etc. Does anyone know if this can be used with tig? It says on the box..Aluminum(GAS) on the box. It was difficult to weld because of the oil in a refrigeration system that would be present at the weld area. I would say my success rate was about 50%. Anyone familiar with this product?
    Its 4047 alloy.
    Traditionally 4047 and 4043 were considered brazing alloys since they melt at slightly lower temperatures then most common wrought materials. When using these materials and the torch, you can literally "sweat" to parts together without melting the base material. This is common on things like fuel tank bungs, fittings, etc. where we use a lap joint and braze the fittings to the tank skin, it forms a nice fillet on both the inside and outside of the tank.
    Its pretty much impossible to braze aluminum with TIG so you kind of loose all the benefits.

-Aaron
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

I decided to try to tig with it. The first bead had a dull cast but two more beads came out very shiny, almost like chrome. Wierd!
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge