Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

bvweld, i have seen them before but always thought of them as trailing shields. may be worth the $$ for some of the more exotic metals, but for most back gas i think you would need a production run to justify the $.
    although to each his own, it is a cool setup with lots of options.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    bvweld, i have seen them before but always thought of them as trailing shields. may be worth the $$ for some of the more exotic metals, but for most back gas i think you would need a production run to justify the $.
    although to each his own, it is a cool setup with lots of options.
    Looks like they have gone up since I bought mine. I used to work in an engineering design group and frequently had special needs and time is money. I still use low buck methods when it's just a job or two,what ever it takes to "GET R DONE". Trailing shields generally clamp on the torch. Titanium requires this along with backing unless you are in a "tent". I don't think there is anything cheap in regards to welding especially if they think your making money with it.

Default Back up gas for Stainless

You definetly you want to use staright Argon for your inner shield gas. This helps keep your weld in a clean enviroment. Make some end caps out of Aluminum foil thats the cheapest way. Put a 1/4 hole in one end to let the purge come out . Set the purge aroung 20-25 psi this will give you a nice clean weld and there will not be a sugar . Sugar on stainless is not good it can cause a bad weld and itsn't going to stand any pressure at all. I weld stainless for a living in the cryogenic and bio industry. Try this ! this should solve any problems of sugaring. What every you do don't use anything other then Argon!!!! Hope this is helpful

I have used speed tape which is basically soft alluminum that is adhesive backed. I form the enclosure with the tape, alluminum foil works great too (i might suggest the heavier one like they sell at costco). I use a piece of gas welding hose with some soft copper tubing stuffed in the end so it can handle high heat, although not the best way to do it you could split the flow going to the torch and use only one regulator, but for 20 bucks you could get the western T and use a spare flow gauge. I have 2 HTP flow meters (45 bucks each on ebay) with the T. I have a valve in the backpurge line so i can turn it on and off easily. I you make your enclosure very tight you will need to make a bleed hole on the other end. I have sucessfully welded stainless with the back purge enclosure open on top (argon is heavier then air). I also use a BBQ lighter to check for lack of 02 (ghetto, but cheap and effective in my experience). Whatever you do be sure to test it first!!
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Set the purge aroung 20-25 psi this will give you a nice clean weld and there will not be a sugar .

I was watching a demo for SS welding and watched other friends do it also, 5-10psi was fine for purging after a few seconds of filling up the "chamber".
    No sugar and welds were beautiful!!! 20-25psi is just wasting argon.
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time