Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Well I was asking about purging for stainless and what do you know, I run into a stainless job. I had a pool railing that was 1.90" OD and wall .065". It fits into 2 pockets in the pool and over the years the wedges that hold it in, and people yanking on it had dented in the side where the wedges fit. My job was to get the dents out [no time to order new rail] So... I drove an exhaust pipe expander in each end and pushed the dents out, worked good except I couldnt expand it enough to get the expander out...It had to fit back in the pockets at the pool..So I split the tube and pulled it out. I welded up both slpits and it seemed OK, looked inside and it didnt look to funny. Each weld was only about 6 inchs long and seemed to weld nice. I didn't back purge it, of course you cant see it, it's in the concrete. But it didn't weld funny either, looked nice on the outside. Tightened up real nice and looked good. I only have One large bottle of Argon, what arrangements do you use to back purge from the same bottle. Or do you use a different bottle?
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

When working on the project if I was to use purging I would end up having another bottle there are many hoses around every work station at DME so you really have 2 areas to get argon.

I've thought about getting a small bottle of argon mostly for a spare. I use it about 90% of the time on the tig and just change hoses if I want to use the spool gun, the machines are side by side. But I have ran out a couple of times. I do have several bottles of mix though
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Talking

Just put a Y conector on the end of the regulator. They sell them with valves on them to shut one off when not in use. You just turn your flow rate up a little bit more when running a purge.

you got pics?
    Millermatic 135
    Syncrowave 200 with coolmate 3
    Hypertherm powermax 30

were I am when I am home
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...5/IMG_7413.jpg

you can also get a Y for befor the regulator and run 2 reg's if you want better controle of your torch flow. you LWS should have both options on hand.i have an extra reg. so i plan on Ying befor the reg's.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default If you can't see it don't sweat it that's my take,..unless its stainless pipe

Quote Originally Posted by youngwelder_154 View Post
    I was thinking hard about purging it but since it will be an open ends theres no way I can do it with out the help of another person. I have no one at the shop to help me so I'm thinking I'm just going to fuse the ends together since its just 16g I might need a little filler but other then that I think ill be good to go. Today I'm ready to start the welding of my project so wish me luck
    Unless its visible you should be fine.
    Last edited by Redeagle; 03-03-2013 at 10:55 AM.