Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Back purging stainless

Quote Originally Posted by HMW View Post
    Backpurging? is that where you use a gas like Argon on the back of the weld while your welding it?? Have welded a few things out of stainless with TIG and a couple with SMAW, worked OK but didn't back purge either?? can you explain?? I have heard of it just not sure about it...Thanks
    You are correct. Purging consists of replacing the air on the backside of a weld with argon. This can be as simple as taping cardboard to the back of the metal to form a channel to seal the area for argon. The main reason I have a flow meter with two seperate outlets is to purge with one (@ higher psi), while welding with the other.

Welds in stainless can be done successfully without purging, but the back side (of a butt weld) will have "cauliflower" growing out the backside. This is how the stainless steel reacts with the atmosphere, which is not pretty. It can be ground-down, but takes work. If you are welding a box, that inside corner where 3 side come together is expecially hard to fix with a grinder. Most of the time when the customer is paying a premium for stainless, they expect the welds to be not only strong, but cosmetically appealing as well.

Back purging stops the vegetable effect? Kudos on the mental imagery 'Sugaring' is the term I've learned, but not as descriptive as cauliflower.

If the stainless is 1/8" or thinner, and not requiring multiple passes, you can use a product called Solar Flux, type B. Paste it onto the back of the joint, and it will shield the root reinforcement the same as back purging, but only for a single pass. It is used for thin wall pipe or tubing, yet is versitle engough to use for cabinets and plate projects.
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

Talking

Sugaring is carbide precipitation. It's accelarated when an inferior atmosphere is present (unpurged open roots, etc.). In certan stainless aplications nitrogen and/or nitrogen mixes are acceptible (particularly with GMAW).

I thought thats what I had read. Thanks for the explanantion. Now that I think about it what I have welded that was stainless was a barbecue grille grate, hammock stand made out of stainless square tubing and repaired some restaurant equipment. So I guess nothing thin and you couldn't see the back side. It would seem that back purging would be expensive, but have no choice i guess.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

I was thinking hard about purging it but since it will be an open ends theres no way I can do it with out the help of another person. I have no one at the shop to help me so I'm thinking I'm just going to fuse the ends together since its just 16g I might need a little filler but other then that I think ill be good to go. Today I'm ready to start the welding of my project so wish me luck

I got my tool box fitted and welded together I just have to figure out how to use my camera to get the pictures on the computer I am very happy and happy at the results I got it may have warped a little but not enough to even complain about it was just on the side of the box. Hardly any burn through only at the parts that had a little but of a gap, Pictures will be on every soon I promise you!

cool
    did you back purge or use a paste or just wing it ??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I just went for it. I just told my self what is there to lose besides learning what and what not to do and I guess I just put all 100% confidence in myself and it worked...

16gage with no back gassing ?? ou eather have some ugly inside seems or you dont have verry good penitration, i would take a good look at the strangth of the welds. melting filler onto the top is not a good weld. not trying to be a pain or a jerk, i just dont see a good solid weld on 16gage SS without back gassing or some ugly insides.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

fun4now I agree I may not have 100% penetration but from what I was told there I should have just enough penetration, I looked at the back sides and it didn't look too bad. I have a couple of burn through pieces but other then that it really looked pretty good. I wish I could have perged it but no one was around to help do that I didn't think about using something to cover the whole area and just put the perge hose in that and tape it shut but for next time I do this I will make sure it is done better. I really only built this tool box for a fathers day present and my father isn't what you would call a gear head so it will suit him for what he will use it for. Also next time I will be building one I'm hoping that I can build it out of alluminum diamond plate so that will be something I'm going to be looking forward to building. But I will still be posting pictures of it very shortly I still have to find the camera and the installing disc.