Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Default Stainless project

Hey guys, I'm starting my second project on stainless my first one was a pretty good success but I used 20g sheet metal and I don't have the ability to weld that yet one of the guys at DME had to go over it again in pulse to fix the damage I caused. Now I'm stating a stainless tool box which I will be doing myself with no help (other then the person who bent the sides I'm not allowed to use the press yet.) He also helped me with picking out the size etc. I'm going to be done of it hopefully early next week and at that point ill post pictures of both results. But could you explain to me how I can weld the 12g to 16g I realized id have to put most of the heat on the 12g (for the sides of the box) when I weld the joint I want to make sure I don't burn through it or warp it. I'm going to be trying welding a little and cooling it down with compressed air, I'm hoping that will solve my problem. any advice will be greatly appreciated I don't get to work on it again until monday which I'm really bummed on so I have the weekend to plan what I will be going through with doing. so thanks in advanced for the advice I will hopefully be getting.

if you want to minimize warping dont rely on compressed air, you will want to clamp it in every way possible

as for the actuall welding, its not so bad, im shure you will figure it out
    mm210
    maxstar 150

Talking

Compressed air will make oxidation occur more rapidly. It won't look as good and will lose some of it's ability to combat corossion.

weld a little at a time and weld all the sides evenly so do a little on one side and a little on the other .
    Millermatic 135
    Syncrowave 200 with coolmate 3
    Hypertherm powermax 30

were I am when I am home
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...5/IMG_7413.jpg

i would do lots of small stich welds moveing around to alow it to cool of inbetween welds. spread the heat out and move it around.
    good luck.
    you will be back purging it right???
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Thanks everyone for your advice everyone I'm thinking doing little stitches and ill post the pictures as soon as its done. Thanks guys again!

Not sure on the design of your box but if you're tryin to weld open corners then maybe you could use a copper or aluminium backing bar. This can be used as a jig to keep the corner square whilst welding and will stop you burning through. Another advantage is it would act as a heat-sink which would reduce the amount of distortion.

Just my thoughts - make of them what you will.

Brightspark

That's what I herd I should use to reduce burn through, it will actually keep my pieces from warping as well?

Default Fun4now

Backpurging? is that where you use a gas like Argon on the back of the weld while your welding it?? Have welded a few things out of stainless with TIG and a couple with SMAW, worked OK but didn't back purge either?? can you explain?? I have heard of it just not sure about it...Thanks
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

yes its keepingthe back of the weld coverd in shielding gas, they also make a past you can put on the back. with thiner SS it will get all black and lose its rust preventative qualitys as well as look realy bad. not so bad on thicker stuff as the back dose not get the full heat but on thiner stuff its a prity big deal. it almost looks like you welded it with no gas.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES