Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

C Neck: Waiting for those pics of your project up at the resturaunt!!!
    Monte, your twister is SOOO cool it's SCARY!!!!!
    GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (and thanks for all the info!!!!!!!!!)
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

thanks its going to open in april and the owner said
    he buy me dinner so im going to take pics. then
    what is king, i do get some things from decorative iron.
    i buy 20 ft 1/2 solid sq.for $13.00 and 1/4 cold rolled
    for the baskets .51 cents a foot on line the belly pickets
    with a basket are around $13.00 each plus $1.70 each
    to ship, the baskets cost me $1.04 each and .65 cents
    a foot for the 1/2 sq. lets say 3 feet thats $1.95
    so the hole picket cost me $2.99
    monte 55 you could make baskets on that machine
    twist 1 and a 1/2 times clockwise and then un twist
    1 full turn
    Attached Images Attached Images

Monte was talking about King Architectural metals, here's a link to their website. http://www.kingmetals.com/Default.aspx?Page=Home
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

thanks dabar 39

montee55 you always come up with some good ideas on home made tools. i plan on making a twister and have a couple of questions.

do you know how much output torque your gear box has ? i have look at some from surplus center and they range from 336 to 3000 inch #.

the shaft that comes off the gear box that turns the picket , is that a impact socket welded on it ?

also could you post some pics of the switch that you talk about ?

keep up the good work. thanks Mark

Default Left hand blue...

When I saw the title "twister" I expected to see some tarts on a mat with colored dots...

But this twister is even COOLER.

Nice job Monte and nice baskets c neck!
    John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
    MM 175
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Blue Star 185 DX
    Spectrum 375

Quote Originally Posted by bullchuck View Post
    montee55 you always come up with some good ideas on home made tools. i plan on making a twister and have a couple of questions.

do you know how much output torque your gear box has ? i have look at some from surplus center and they range from 336 to 3000 inch #.

the shaft that comes off the gear box that turns the picket , is that a impact socket welded on it ?

also could you post some pics of the switch that you talk about ?

keep up the good work. thanks Mark
    Mark
    The torque depends on input power, gear ratio etc..My gearbox has a 5/8" input shaft and a 1" output. I'm sure it'll do more than I am using it for now. The size of the output shaft and the gearbox itself is a good indicator of how stout the unit is and what it can do. Don't skimp on your gearbox........it's the heart of your machine. I have no idea what the torque of mine is.....It falls under the category of "Twist the crap out of it"
    It is a 1 1/8 x 1/2 drive socket welded to the end of the mandrel.
    The switch circuit is a little complicated and I don't know how to put diagrams
    on the computer. It could be as simple as a cam on the shaft tripping a light switch.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge