Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Picket Twister Pics per request...

I have had some requests to post more detailed pictures of the picket twister and some spec info.

Gear Box: 30 to 1 ratio
    Motor: 1/2 hp 120 Volt 1725 RPM
    10 in pulley on gear box 3 in on motor 1/2 in V Belt
    I Beam 6 inches wide

This machine was built to twist 1/2 in solid square material for decorative pickets.
    The following is based on making 36 in pickets as a standard and pickets up to 44 in for special applications;
    36 in picket with basket: 5" from end, 6" of twist, 4 1/2" to basket which is
    about 5" long, another 4 1/2", then 6" of twist again, then the last 5" to the end. This should equal 36"

36" Picket without basket: 6" twist 5" from end on both ends.
    Longer than 36" pickets will require inserting the bottom of the picket further into the mandrel so the bottom twist will line up with any length picket. The
    numbers and holes on the mandrel provide stops for these given pickets.

The piece with the vice grips slides along the top of the I Beam easily and can be locked down at any position according to where you decide to put the twist in the material (and the length of the twist). You will notice that the vice grips are welded to the piece. Setting the vice grips down and forgetting where you put them got to be old so I welded them and it works so much better. When you are making 200 pickets or more and each picket has at least two twists, any time saved is worth it.

When we first made a twister, we twisted hundreds and hundreds of pickets by manually turning on a switch and hoping you turned it off at exactly the right time. Under twisting and over twisting both create problems. Trying to correct for them generally ends up in a slightly bowed picket.

I finally used a micro switch, holding relay, 24 volt transformer, momentary on push button and an on and off switch.
    I hit the button and release it and the holding relay keeps the machine running for one complete revolution and always stops at the right time. If I need a double twist I will just hit the button again.

This twister will actually twist a half inch solid right in two. I am sure it would have no problems twisting 5/8 square solid but I have not made that mandrel yet.

Also, if I switch mandrels, I also can make my rings on this machine which you can see in my videos, on Youtube, the link is in my signature.

I didn't mean to rattle on for so long but some of you have requested more detail....so here it is.

Hope this helps,
    Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Default Picket Twister second half of pictures...

Here is the second half of the picket twister pictures...
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Very cool Nick looks great
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Victor O/A
    Chop Saw
    Porta-band
    grinders
    hand tools

Thanks Nick, that's awesome.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Default pickets

did you make the baskets these are the ones i made

thats way cool.
    where did you get the gear box??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

There is a local company that left some old machinery, worn gears, and gearboxes on their dock for removal. We ask them if we could have some parts and they said to take what we wanted. We did. We made two picket twisters, still have some gears left.......I got one other gearbox that has a heavy 90VDC motor that bolts right into it. Haven't found a project for it yet.
    I'm thimking something mobile that runs off a bank of batteries. It' bigger than the gearbox on the twister...very well built.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

That should make a great platform to work off of. The main thing about twisting metal is to have a uniform speed untill the twist is done. Starting and stopping as when done by hand tends to make it uneven and may have a bow it it. When we first started, we made a jig to do it by hand. Since we couldn't keep a constant pressure and speed, the results were just so so. With each stroke by hand, the metal heats and cools as compared to a continuous motion which I found makes a more uniform twist. On larger square like one inch solid, we heated in a forge till red then twisted.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Thumbs up Nice

Very nice - how did you make the baskets?

I purchace the baskets from King. Not worth trying to make yourself for what they cost.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge