Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Powder Coating;

Default Powder Coating;

Does anyone here do alot of powdercoating on iron railings? I would like to know what is the best way to treat the steel before coating. I do fabricate alot of railing and I usaually hand paint them, and just recently customers have been wanting powder. I tell them that their is no guaranty.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalCrafter View Post
    Does anyone here do alot of powdercoating on iron railings? I would like to know what is the best way to treat the steel before coating. I do fabricate alot of railing and I usaually hand paint them, and just recently customers have been wanting powder. I tell them that their is no guaranty.

You will probably want to use a Chromate rich epoxy primer applied over fresh grit blasted iron. PC isnt the best for corrosion since it seals out oxygen from the primer and doesnt let the anodic action take place with the chromates if it gets scratched. Maybe look at a sprayed Acrylic Enamel (with hardener) topcoat. Its got better adhesion and usually better UV resistance.

-Aaron
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Cool

I quit using powder coat on my outside metalwork because you can't get in the nooks and crannies with the pc and it will rust bad. I went back to painting the parts....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48