Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Washing the weld

I think I've asked this before but I can't find it in a search. Does it hurt the strength of the aluminum weld to wash over it again with the tig torch only.... to smooth it out?
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

I Don't think so. I do it. As long as the penetration is good. It's not like you can take the penetration away once it's done.

Unless it's thin and you remove the back up gas and re weld it and burn through and get it dirty.
    Mike
    MD Welding & Fabricating L.L.C.
    mdwelding@sbcglobal.net

It just depends...there is no "fits all" rule here. sometimes it can be a good thing like if the toes didn't blend in good enuff and yet you don't want any additional filler because the bead is big already.
    You must consider if you are willing or not to increase the size of the HAZ.
    Say on sheet metal it would not be a very good idea at all because you increase the chances of warping and chances are the weld is already stronger than the HAZ anyhow. I would say there would be a spot to just learn to make a more perfect bead. Same goes for more structural things made with angle and tubing etc...
    But in repairing things that have cracked that is a whole different story altogether. I do it sometimes but you can usually spot a wash if you know what to look for. I use it a ton on casting repair tho myself.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

What exactly does HAZ mean?
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

HAZ
    Heat
    Affected
    Zone
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

NOT a good idea.

Same basic principle as a double pass weld on aluminum. Double pass welds are not done on marine structures (towers, t-tops, etc) because they tend to make the material adjacent to the metal more brittle. One of the things that makes repairing someone else's work difficult.

Better to just weld it correctly the first time.

Aluminum+Double Pass=Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    NOT a good idea.

Same basic principle as a double pass weld on aluminum. Double pass welds are not done on marine structures (towers, t-tops, etc) because they tend to make the material adjacent to the metal more brittle. One of the things that makes repairing someone else's work difficult.

Better to just weld it correctly the first time.

Aluminum+Double Pass=Trouble
    Exactly and prolly better said. altho if you know what your doing there are many cases in repair it is nessesary to do things like build up radius's etc..
    I'm all about doing it right the first pass but I get into a bunch of clapped out junk pretty regular that has so much chopped out and throwed away that many passes is the only way it's gonna happen.

Towers and t-tops certainly deserve special attention...they are starting to migrate to my shop the last few years and I make sure I give them all the special attention they need..at $100 an hr

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Well alrighty then. So.......you're saying I have to do it right the first time.
    Hmmmm........interesting concept. Might be worth trying.
    Thanks guys for the info

Nick
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Lightbulb

as i understood it , when you heated the aluminum to the melting point to weld. you burned out the additives some what. the fillers are higher in silicone(4000 series) and magnesium(5000 series) to make up for this.
    additional passes with filler being added to build up some thing would again benefit from the filler's additives. where washing out the weld without filler just for looks would only get the burn out part, not the additives.

am i correct in this or just urban legend ??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES