Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Cool Cast Iron Tractor Part

This tractor part came in today with a giant cut out where the crack used to be. The part houses the steering box plus is the tank for the radiator and it froze. The guy ground it all the way thru and was going to braze it then he changed his mind. Neverless it was a large gouge. I gave it a few test tacks with some machinable cast rod and it looked like it was going to be ok so i proceded to connect the dots. Then i ground it all out and put some longer beads on it grinding between the beads as i went. I sprayed some pentrating suff on it and didn't see any cracks...Bob

Rod info..
    Crown Alloys 255 Nickel Alloy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aametalmaster; 03-13-2008 at 08:07 PM.
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

DID you hear any "ticking" after the arc ended?

I was working on a turbo exhaust case the other day and spotting it with 100 amps for maybe 1/2 to 1 second was cracking it further.

Dug a hole in the ground, lit 5 lbs of charcoal, and blew it with my shop vac, set the casting in the middle of the heat for 25 mins until it glowed, and welded away without any cracking.
    SYNCROWAVE 200
    Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
    Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
    Makita Everything else
    2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
    "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
    USA 15T, 15V

www.myspace.com/blackbird455

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder

Cool

Nope no snap crackle pop on this part. It must have been some quality cast iron....Bob

Very nice work,Bob
    Jeff

Don't you just love when the customer helps out. Looks good !

Default Filler rod?

Done some cast welding myself , unless I heated the piece all I would hear is snap crackle pop! What type of filler rod were you using?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mark.902 View Post
    Done some cast welding myself , unless I heated the piece all I would hear is snap crackle pop! What type of filler rod were you using?
    Crown Alloys 255 Nickel Alloy. Directions and info here.
    http://www.crownalloys.com/page10.pdf
    Preheating is not required but will make a softer weld according to the directions. But since i was not going to machine it i didn't worry about it. I have used this rod for about 10 years with no problems...Bob