Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Tig torches - is there a standard?

I was looking for some cups for my torch and I noticed that addd may say for example "for series, 9, 20, 25" torches.

Is there some standard across manufacturers or manufacturer specific?

Thanks,
    John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
    MM 175
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Blue Star 185 DX
    Spectrum 375

Thumbs up standardized

mostly standard threw all makes. a #17 or 150amp torch will accept parts from most makers. the CK torches are interchangeable with weld craft and so on. its supposed to be standardized but it may be possible to get a really cheepo torch that wont play well with others.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Tig consumables..

The 17/18 torches and consumables are not compatible with the 9/20s. If you have a 17 (whether it is a Diamondback, Tweco, Weldcraft, etc) it uses 17/18 series parts. The same applies to the 9 series.

HTH
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

Default Triggerman 150STL...

Hey Triggerman...

Thanks for your reply. I noticed the maxstar 150 stl listing on your signature. What kinda things do you use it for? Do you tig, stick weld both. I love mine; it is amazing for it's size and duel voltage. I have used it for some stick welding on job sites and now I'm learning to tig on it.

Thanks,
    John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
    MM 175
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Blue Star 185 DX
    Spectrum 375

sorry i mis-understood your question. i thought you wanted to know if all similar torches like #17 from different makers would interchange parts.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Greetings!

Quote Originally Posted by Handy560 View Post
    What kinda things do you use it for? Do you tig, stick weld both.
    I Tig and Stick with it. The 150 is the king of portability in my book. I even made a special cord adapter to grab 230V from two seperate 115V outlets on different phases in the breaker panel.

I have tigged thin stainless in kitchens one day and stick welded 6" pipe the next day on live systems full of water.

If I could only keep two of my blue boxes, they would be my Maxstar 150STL and my Spectrum 375-Xtreme plasma cutter.

Good luck. HTH.

James, don't worry about it. You gave an excellent answer to the question you thought he asked.
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

Default James...

That really was the right answer in that I wanted to shop for some replacement parts for the torch and wanted to know what to look for.

Of course I am so spastic at that point I was already on to my next question.

Thanks again,
    John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
    MM 175
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Blue Star 185 DX
    Spectrum 375