Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Making a little book

FusionKing,
    Thanks
    Just making a little book (soon to grow fast) about information, so I won't have to keep asking the same questions over and over or to be able to help a new guy.
    New guys, I suggest you start doing the same
    I'm just opening up a new window in word, go to that document, make a new title or add to one already there, and just keep adding! (Started to need a table of contents!)
    Oh, and I'm including the author, to give credit where credit is due!
    Last edited by Bert; 03-12-2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: add instead of making a new post
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Thank you sir! I have some orange of each size I use and will break it out tonight. This is what I was getting from the books but having started out with Green was used to it.

Follow up question and then I will shut up for a while. How do you like to shape the tungsten? Truncated and ball the tip?
    Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Default Confused again

How can an orange tungsten from Diamond Ground products be Ceriated(non active) But Aglevtech.Com have an orange band tungsten that's thoriated?
    Makes no sense to me.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Nick:

If you do a little more research on colors for tungstens you will find that there is a US standard for colors, a European standard for colors, which is different that the US standard. Then there are some Asian manufacturers that have even different colors. And for my old eyes, the dark orange is hard to tell from the red sometimes. Beware buying by color. Buy by name.

I have a Syncrowave 200. Like you, I read a bazillion threads. If you read long enough, you will find every tungsten recommended as "the only one to use." Here is my experience with the 200.

I started with Ceriated on mild steel and stainless steel. Ground to a truncated point. Excellent results. On aluminum, I originally used pure tungsten, balled, because that was what I thought you were supposed to use with a transformer machine. It works, but the arc wanders and sort of makes things more difficult. After recommendations from other Syncrowave 200 owners I went to 1.5% Lanthanated tungsten, sharpened to a truncated point. The point will dull slightly, sort of like a dull pencil lead. Eventually, when the point really rounds I resharpen the tungsten. It provides fine arc control. Like a post above, using the Lanthanated on mild steel and stainless I find that it works as well or better than the Ceriated.

I cannot tell any different welding characteristics between the 1.5% Lanthanated and the 2.0% Lanthanated. The 2% seems to hold a point longer than the 1.5%. 2% is a little harder to find than 1.5% When I have used up the Ceriated that I have I will probably only stock 2% Lanthanated for all of my tig welding on aluminum, stainless, and mild.

Adios-----

Thumbs up

FusionKing:
    Thanks for taking the time, great information.
    Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    This is transformer info tho it relates to everything just in varying degrees.

GREEN is crap...
    Snicker.
    RED is the standard that everything is measured up against. But it will begin eroding away and start making several little b@ll$
    I'll be d*mned, I've seen that. Thought I was crazy.
    If you consantly dip your tungsten or touch your filler then it would be fine cause you'll be grinding before it cycles out.
    And this would explain why I didn't see it very often.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Weldcraft.com catalog has a chart for tungstens and what they recommend. Think they are mostly gearing towards the inverter machines...Since you have the transformer type, I'd do what FusionKing said.

http://www.weldcraft.com/pdf/Weldcraft-Full-Catalog.pdf
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Monte,
    what Handy was referring toExcellent info about tungstens, but they focus more on inverter machines. (Kudos to Carmen-Electra from arc-zone for this)
    http://www.thefabricator.com/ArcWeld...le.cfm?ID=1276
    http://www.thefabricator.com/Consuma...cle.cfm?ID=834

Free Tungsten samples from: www.Diamnondground.com
    up on top, click on "request free samples). Few of the guys say they're very good also.
    Thanks Bert! you're doing my job for me:
    Tungsten Information Evangelist :-)
    Carmen Electrode (Arc-Zone.com)
    CarmenElectrode.com