Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Another tungsten question...sorry

I have been reading my brains out on old threads, links supplied by members etc. I have searched till I'm searched out. I have a Syncro 200 Tig(transformer) machine.
    I have heard a lot of you like red(Thoriated)which are radio active, can be used on aluminum and as an all around tungsten but not the best choice for aluminum. They work but the ball seems to develope off kilter at times or small ball will develope off center if that makes sense. I didn't realize the were
    radio active. Guess I should have paid more attention(thanks forum members).
    I have a supply in several sizes and will use them(carefully)on steel which they are recommended and do well with DC.
    What I want is a good replacement for pure(green) to be used on aluminum ac that is not ACTIVE, holds its tip, lasts longer etc. There are so many choices, I'm confused.
    Anyone using a square wave machine and having good luck with a particular
    tungsten on aluminum, please chime in and explain why. Thanks.
    Nick
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Cerated Orange tip is the stuff to use now day's on aluminum.
    I've had good results with it.
    Kerry
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Default Free Samples

Hey Monte, can't answer you question cause I'm more green at this than you, but look for the thread about the thoriated/safe and there is a link for some free samples someone was kind enough to attach... Maybe you can get some to try and dial in your tig.

John
    John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
    MM 175
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Blue Star 185 DX
    Spectrum 375

Monte,
    what Handy was referring toExcellent info about tungstens, but they focus more on inverter machines. (Kudos to Carmen-Electra from arc-zone for this)
    http://www.thefabricator.com/ArcWeld...le.cfm?ID=1276
    http://www.thefabricator.com/Consuma...cle.cfm?ID=834

Free Tungsten samples from: www.Diamnondground.com
    up on top, click on "request free samples). Few of the guys say they're very good also.
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

When i was in collage i was told by my instructor that zirconiated tungsten works best for welding aluminum. It has a brown band but is a fair bit more expensive. I have no clue to weather its radio active or not but i hope this helps in your search.

I'd tell ya since I've been using a Sync 250 for about 12 years, but you seem to find fault with most of my posts, so I'll keep my mouth shut.

I too have a transformer based Syncro 250 and am watching this thread. It seems that the more you read the more answers you get as to the latest "best" tungsten alloy to use. Pure with a ball, Red with a point, Red with a blunt tip, Orange with a point or a blunt tip, long angles, short angles, caffeinated decaffeinated, great taste, less filling?

It is hard to filter the advice in some books or online as it often starts out general but often ends up aimed at the inverter machines and things get unclear.

Right now I am using good old green with a ball. I can make things that stay together until the check clears at least but I am no ex-purt by any measure and always want to improve my skills and methods.

What is the latest advice for transformer machines on aluminum? I have to admit I am getting addicted to welding up aluminum. When it goes well it is satisfying because it takes knowledge and skill and is not just point and shoot.
    Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Default OH gosh....here we go again!

MONTE...this is as close as I can put my OPINIONS into words.

This is transformer info tho it relates to everything just in varying degrees.

GREEN is crap...it just goes into thin air compared anything else. I wonder what it was ever compared to?

RED is the standard that everything is measured up against. I find by using it all day on AC on aluminum which I do everyday like it or not it will make a ball on the tip nicely. But it will begin eroding away and start making several little b@ll$ and then splitting etc. If you consantly dip your tungsten or touch your filler then it would be fine cause you'll be grinding before it cycles out.

BROWN.... is the ultimate OLD SCHOOL stuff. (for aluminum) It makes a nice ball on the end and will last forever untill you dip. It will even go after that if it is a light touch as will most tung. But brown is the best at cleaning itself IMO. IT would be my first choice to use if I was wanting to knock out a bunch of work as fast and maintenance free as I could and was using a transformer style machine. You just keep pulling it out as it wears away. When you want a more focused arc with a point then you begin to look into more exotic metals.

ORANGE...welds great and will hold a point on a transformer longer than most.
    If you are wanting to get the most out of your syncrowave then this is a great choice to use because it will weld all day without splitting.

GOLD....I find this about the best and is what I currently use. it is now readily available and will replace all colors. It will hold a ball nicely and will hold a point nicely. I holds up better than orange at high amps. It is 1 1/2% lanthanated and BLUE is 2% lanthanated but blue is much harder to find.
    Using lanthanated will cause you to let all your other coller to just sit and collect dust. So go get it NOW before you sink more money into all the other colors that you will never use once you get into this stuff.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    I'd tell ya since I've been using a Sync 250 for about 12 years, but you seem to find fault with most of my posts, so I'll keep my mouth shut.
    Have no idea what you're talking about. If you had a post and I disagreed,
    so what? I am allowed to state my opinion as anyone else, even you. If you don't want to share information........don't. I don't know what posts you're
    talking about or do I care now. That's old business. I try not to remember
    problem posts, but I guess you do. Remember this.......you haven't just held
    back information from me, but the entire forum. Does that actually make you feel better?
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    MONTE...this is as close as I can put my OPINIONS into words.

This is transformer info tho it relates to everything just in varying degrees.

GREEN is crap...it just goes into thin air compared anything else. I wonder what it was ever compared to?

RED is the standard that everything is measured up against. I find by using it all day on AC on aluminum which I do everyday like it or not it will make a ball on the tip nicely. But it will begin eroding away and start making several little b@ll$ and then splitting etc. If you consantly dip your tungsten or touch your filler then it would be fine cause you'll be grinding before it cycles out.

BROWN.... is the ultimate OLD SCHOOL stuff. (for aluminum) It makes a nice ball on the end and will last forever untill you dip. It will even go after that if it is a light touch as will most tung. But brown is the best at cleaning itself IMO. IT would be my first choice to use if I was wanting to knock out a bunch of work as fast and maintenance free as I could and was using a transformer style machine. You just keep pulling it out as it wears away. When you want a more focused arc with a point then you begin to look into more exotic metals.

ORANGE...welds great and will hold a point on a transformer longer than most.
    If you are wanting to get the most out of your syncrowave then this is a great choice to use because it will weld all day without splitting.

GOLD....I find this about the best and is what I currently use. it is now readily available and will replace all colors. It will hold a ball nicely and will hold a point nicely. I holds up better than orange at high amps. It is 1 1/2% lanthanated and BLUE is 2% lanthanated but blue is much harder to find.
    Using lanthanated will cause you to let all your other coller to just sit and collect dust. So go get it NOW before you sink more money into all the other colors that you will never use once you get into this stuff.
    Hey, thanks for all the info.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill