Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Price for argon

Default Wow

Anybody paying less than $65 for a T or K sized argon is gettin a BARGAIN!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by starweld View Post
    Anybody paying less than $65 for a T or K sized argon is gettin a BARGAIN!!!!!
    I think anybody paying more than $60 bucks for any size is getting ripped off.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Quote Originally Posted by Synchroman View Post
    The last time I exchanged a 160 cu. ft. cylinder of Argon, Airgas got $75.00 with all of the fees and taxes. I'm going to find another LWS.
    AirGas sucks @$$... definatly find another LWS!!!
    Millermatic 180w/autoset
    Spoolmate 100
    Victor O & A Outfit

Yeah, I really need to call around first. I have Praxair and Desert Industrial as alternatives, and just as nearby, too. Maybe my market here is just that bad. I just don't fill cylinders often enough to know. I don't think any of them have mercy on the little guy, but if they have to quote a price over the phone, there's a chance they might cut it a bit knowing you are shopping around.

Then again, it's not like my business is going to make a difference. If I don't get deals, there's really nothing I can complain about either.

I hear that in Kingman AZ if you bring your oxygen cylinder in on the day they are doing the filling, it's like $10 no matter what size it is. Might check that place out, too. I can always use an excuse to drive to AZ.
    Last edited by MAC702; 03-23-2009 at 01:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Argon

Well, i guess I dont know much, but if you look at the price of bread and milk, argon looks pretty cheap. Also look at the revenue a bottle of argon can produce. (65 is cheap) And by the way I have only been in this business 30 years, and in ths trade for 40!!

Default Seems High To Me

I'm new to mig welding, just bought a M/M 252, and lovin it.
    I just rented a 125 CF tank of C25 for $37.00 total, which I think was my rental fee of $5.00 for the first month, and $32.00 for C25.
    Airgas wanted twice as much for the tank rental ($10.00). So needless to say I didn't rent there.
    I guess $65.00 would be about the same 330 CF, ?
    Just my .02

just exchanged my 330cf argon at AG and it was $48. I think I can beat them down a little but I just needed to get the gas and get back to practice!

Darn that tank is heavy!! glad it is just chained against the wall, I have a 150 for the cart (that I am just laying out to build)

Tim
    Retired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
    AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
    Chaplain CMA chapter 26
    Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
    MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Miller 140 mig 110v
    Vtwin builder

Quote Originally Posted by pjw0812 View Post
    AirGas sucks @$$... definatly find another LWS!!!
    That is a blanket statement for sure. There are bad Praxairs and any other chain outlet's stores. It depends on the people in charge.
    You have to check them out one at a time...just like people.
    Airgas gives their people everything they need to be competitive and if they are not then it is from poor management.
    If you seen the deals they make with big business then you would understand...it is the salesmen that loose the accounts.
    My local Airgas has been the worst welding supply in the world in my mind and then turn around and become the best ever...all due to not only the manager but the attitude of everyone in the store. Sometimes it is even better to be shorthanded than have a bunch of deadweight people who don't give a crap about you or even themselves.
    My local Airgas has cut their staff from 5 people to 3 in the last year and even tho it seemed like a bad move at the time it is now apparently a great move. Everyone is not only on the same page now, but it has also freed up their budget somewhat to allow more freedom in pricing if needed.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300

FK,

Mega ditto's on that one! I Have 2 airgas dealers in my area, the closest is 10 miles away, the next is 18 miles from my place. There is an independent a few miles from them and then there are at least 10 more across the river in Portland OR. 5-6 years ago I had hopes of buying some new equipment and getting a small shop started, I went to the Airgas shop closest and had such a bad experience I didn't return until a couple of months ago. (the management had changed) along withe staff! I have had great service from them. UP FRONT I researched the cost and made myself knowledgeable of the type/brands of equipment then I requested a "quote" from each company. When I got the quotes I gave each an opportunity to cut them anyway they could (for immediate cash) sale, I got the best price on the Tig machine from Airgas, and a a better price from the other LWS (in OR) on the Plasma cutter) Bottom line is I didn't jerk their chain! I gave each a shot at my business and (I) made my mind up on what and where I would do business. Now as for gas refills (I purchased the tanks) I am going to the closest distributor and the nickle difference isn't Worth cost to go further!

That is the FREE MARKET SYSTEM! (the consumer votes for the Supplier In or out of business every time he turns loose of his cash) That is my Stimulus plan!! (back to melting metal!)

Tim
    Retired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
    AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
    Chaplain CMA chapter 26
    Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
    MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Miller 140 mig 110v
    Vtwin builder

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrachop View Post
    FK,

Mega ditto's on that one! I Have 2 airgas dealers in my area, the closest is 10 miles away, the next is 18 miles from my place. There is an independent a few miles from them and then there are at least 10 more across the river in Portland OR. 5-6 years ago I had hopes of buying some new equipment and getting a small shop started, I went to the Airgas shop closest and had such a bad experience I didn't return until a couple of months ago. (the management had changed) along withe staff! I have had great service from them. UP FRONT I researched the cost and made myself knowledgeable of the type/brands of equipment then I requested a "quote" from each company. When I got the quotes I gave each an opportunity to cut them anyway they could (for immediate cash) sale, I got the best price on the Tig machine from Airgas, and a a better price from the other LWS (in OR) on the Plasma cutter) Bottom line is I didn't jerk their chain! I gave each a shot at my business and (I) made my mind up on what and where I would do business. Now as for gas refills (I purchased the tanks) I am going to the closest distributor and the nickle difference isn't Worth cost to go further!

That is the FREE MARKET SYSTEM! (the consumer votes for the Supplier In or out of business every time he turns loose of his cash) That is my Stimulus plan!! (back to melting metal!)

Tim
    Great post! How true

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300