Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Baldwin, NY

    Default Welders on trailers

    Just a quick question for those of you guys who tow equipment and welders.
    How come every Air compressor, welder or log splitter I have ever seen never has a license plate, lights, or turn signals?

    Would I be able to build a small frame under my bobcat, and tow it legally without lights, signals or a plate?

    It's a dumb question but honestly one I have never understood.

    Thanks in advance,
    Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

    Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

    2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
    2000 Camaro SS (Race car)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Somerset Ky.


    This is good question. I just bought a Miller legend on a trailer that has no lights or place to put a plate. I just moved to Kentucky and see trailers every day with no plates and some no lights. I guess it depends on if you can see the tow vehicle lights the trailer doesnt need them?
    MM175, Lincoln Ideal arc 250, Miller Legend

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    I live in Cheraw, South Carolina


    In South Carolina trailers less then 2500 # do not have to be licensed or registered. Over this weight and they must be liscensed and registered. Trailers over 3000 # must have breakes. I have read where all boat trailers are required to have lights, so I assume this goes for all of them. Safety chains are also required on all trailers.
    If I had know I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    N.E. SD


    I think depends on where you live. Some states consider a welder or air compressor to be portable equipment. Others, like South Dakota think if it has wheels, it needs lights and license......Unless it is a FARM trailer, like the gravity boxes that farmers pull behind trucks in place of a pup

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    North of Phila. PA


    I agree it all depends on where you live. I can't seem to find the page that lists PennDOT specs for trailers. If I remember correctly air compressors and mixers did not require tags or lights, but trailers do. I think this is due to the fact you can see the tow vehicle lights. Trailers under a certain wt say 2500 lb do not require inspection except when assembled for the first time. Trailers over 3000 lb require brakes. Trailers over 10,000 lb require a class A licence. All trailers require safety chains.

    Backhoes/ equipment require a special use tag to be driven on the road. However I have seldom seen this enforced, not that they don't just most cops don't bother yet. All state and local municipalities generally have theirs tagged.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    16919 Pole Rd. Brethren, MI 49619


    The welder is a piece of equipment and not to carry cargo, also a boat is registered and that makes it state owned like your car, needs a plate.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Carroll County, Maryland


    Here is what Maryland says about trailers (copied directly from their website):
    Notice it's a money thing and IMHO the only thing.

    Trailers - Office Trailers and Mobile Homes

    Office trailers and mobile homes in excess of 35 feet are not subject to the inspection, titling, or registration laws of Maryland, however, they may be titled. This Administration does not collect excise tax when issuing a title, however, before the vehicle can be titled, the State Retail Sales Tax must be paid, a receipt obtained and submitted with the Application for Title and other required documents. The State Sales Tax Division is located in the State Office Building, 301 West Preston Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201.

    Boat, Camping, Tent or Travel Trailers

    All trailers are subject to the same Motor Vehicle Laws as passenger vehicles (class A). They must be titled and if registration is desired, they must be safety inspected (if used vehicle).

    Homemade Trailers

    Homemade trailers may be titled and registered by submitting an Application for Title to the Administration with two photographs of the vehicle taken from side and rear angles. If the application is approved, an assigned VIN (serial plate) is issued. It must be affixed to the vehicle and becomes the identification number used in all future transactions.

    Freight & Semi Freight Trailers

    Freight and semi-freight trailers are subject to the same motor vehicle laws as passenger vehicles. They must be titled and if registration is desired, they must be safety inspected (if used vehicle). In addition freight and semi-freight trailers must provide proof of Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance in the minimum amount required by law or as amended. All other trailers are covered by the insurance of the towing vehicle. If a commercial (freight) trailer is converted to an office trailer and the owner wishes to title the vehicle, State Retail Sales Tax must be paid and the sales tax receipt must accompany the Application for Title.

    IMPORTANT - The Certificate of Registration should always be carried in the vehicle or on the person operating the vehicle.
    The definition of courage. "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through to the end no matter what." From "To Kill a Mockingbird"

  8. #8


    In Alabama if it is towed and gets on the road a tag is required, but on small privately owned trailers it is seldomly enforced.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Shattuck, OK


    I think it just depends on the state in which you live in, I'm not sure about the laws here in Oklahoma but I know that I see a lot of welders being towed around on trailers with no lights and the cops don't say too much. Aside from trailer houses and the like, I don't think that trailers even have to be tagged here. I know we sure have a lot of them and none of them have tags. Once again, just check the laws in your home state and see what they require since every state is different.
    At Home
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Performance Tools 6" Bench Grinder
    Craftsman Hand Tools
    Craftsman Cordless Drills

    DeWalt Angle Grinder
    1976 AMC Jeep CJ7
    1980 Ford F150 Custom
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado C1500

    At Work
    Miller Bobcat 250
    2 Miller MM251s
    2 Miller MM252s
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC

    Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    Snap-On Flux Core Welding Machine

    Hypertherm Plasma Cutter
    Victor Torches

    2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4x4

    Proud American Ham KE5TJA

  10. #10


    Here in California, they collect every dime they can dream up - and my welder sits on a tagged trailer. $25 for 5 years, but the plate says PERMANENT REGISTRATION.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/ on line 79

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.