Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Phase converters?

Has anyone here ever built there own rotary phase converter? Me and a buddy are looking at a good use Bridgeport mill but it is 3 phase and 3 phase is not available where we are at. So I was told that a phase converter could easily be built out of an out 3 phase motor and some other parts and was wondering if anyone here has ever done it or know where I could find a good how to on making one.

Thanks

I haven't build one but a few years back I looked into a used 13x40 3 phase lathe. If I remember correctly they were Hp specific. I couldn't just get a big one and cover a number of posibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    Has anyone here ever built there own rotary phase converter? Me and a buddy are looking at a good use Bridgeport mill but it is 3 phase and 3 phase is not available where we are at. So I was told that a phase converter could easily be built out of an out 3 phase motor and some other parts and was wondering if anyone here has ever done it or know where I could find a good how to on making one.

Thanks
    I built my first about eight years ago. I used a time delay relay with start cap. so it would self start. Here is one link http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph...converter.html

There are even kits available and all you supply is the 3 phase motor and complete the wiring. Info is readily available, just GOOGLE "PHASE CONVERTER" and you will find more info.

I bought a PHASE PERFECT when I got my cnc mill. I was concerned about the phase to phase voltage with all the electronics. With a standard mill I would go with a rotary phase converter. Some guys go with a VFD (variable freq. drive) but it is up to you. Good luck

TrxR,

I run 2 mills and each one is on it's own 3ph converter. The small converters I bought right from ebay and each is capable of running a 5hp. I think I paid about $69 each from a place in AZ. I looked at getting a bigger one to run all the 3ph stuff but it was a bunch cheaper to just get individual ones. That way you are not wasting any additional power if any of your other equipment is idle.
    Good luck
    Andy

One thing to remember about phase converters, static converters are about 85% efficient & rotary converters are 98 or 99% efficient.
    Bob Kraemer/Licensed Electrical Contractor

Miller 330 ABP
    Tree Mill W/DRO
    South Bend Lathe
    Tennsmith Brake
    Tennsmith Shear
    Beverly Throatless Shear
    JD/2 Bead roller
    O/A Torch
    Drill Press
    Grinders, Belt Sander Etc!
    And more hand tools than I know what to do with

but remember the best of 3phase wye connected motors are only about 90% effecient, and best of single phase motors are only about 80% the power factor goes to crap with a rotory converter. static converters are more effecient at end result. i used to be an industrial electrician, now im a electrical enginner at a electric utility, we had a customer that was runnin a 100hp rotory converter to run his wood workin shop and using about 80hp on the converter and his power bill ran $3000-4000 a month and with the new 3phase wye service his bill is $1500-2500 on the average now theres not a whole lot that goes into building one, especially if you have some of the parts. you may want to still contact your utility and see if there planning on bringin 3ph closer to ya in the future and how much it would be to have a service dropped if your in an area like ours were building so much line right now its crazy.
    DYNASTY 200DX
    SPECTRUM 625
    MM 251
    BWE