Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stainless tig

Default stainless tig

im trying to make a nice shiney bead but it turnes out black im using 309L filler 1/16 on 16ga stainless. if i dont use any filler it looks ok but still not good enough and im using 3/32 red band tung with a really sharp point
    miller 330 abp
    everlast 225lx
    airco 250a tig
    hobart handler 125 mig
    o/a torches

what SS alloy base metal?

Quote Originally Posted by ridesideways View Post
    what SS alloy base metal?
    im not sure .i welded it in another shop and the welds were red and blueish and mostly real shiney
    miller 330 abp
    everlast 225lx
    airco 250a tig
    hobart handler 125 mig
    o/a torches

Default ss tig

309 is for welding mild steel to stainless steel try 308

Quote Originally Posted by c neck View Post
    thats gotta be it . i used 308 at the old shop
    miller 330 abp
    everlast 225lx
    airco 250a tig
    hobart handler 125 mig
    o/a torches

Quote Originally Posted by c neck View Post
    i tried welding a piece stainless to a piece of mild steel and it looks the same i lowered the heat and its still the same . its flat and black and there is no patern to it
    miller 330 abp
    everlast 225lx
    airco 250a tig
    hobart handler 125 mig
    o/a torches

Have you tried Orange stripe tungs? How about cleaning the base and rod? Does the black wipe off, or not?
    SYNCROWAVE 200
    Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
    Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
    Makita Everything else
    2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
    "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
    USA 15T, 15V

www.myspace.com/blackbird455

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder

Default Too slow

Quote Originally Posted by mikesparks View Post
    im trying to make a nice shiney bead but it turnes out black im using 309L filler 1/16 on 16ga stainless. if i dont use any filler it looks ok but still not good enough and im using 3/32 red band tung with a really sharp point
    Do you have good torch control? If you do, try moving faster and using a little higher (10%) amperage. For better gas coverage, try a large gas lens or one of those jumbo cup and gas lenses from a machine torch that they have for manual torches (you will have to increase the gas flow with on of those to about 40 CFH). 309 should be ok. It might even require a little less amperage as 308. 309 runs a little wetter and seems to take less amperage, in my experience. You say you have no bead shape and the finish is black, a classic case of too high an amperage and too slow travel speed. Most welders weld SS too hot. By moving too slowly you increase the localized heat and usually get the result you've described. Come back on here and tell us what worked for you.
    Thanks, BH

Default Get in, hit it hard, get out

I agree with Stillwelding. Stainless doesn't like heat. It especially doesn't like to be slowly heated, since by the time you get the area around the seam hot enough, half the sheet is now super hot too. Get in, hit it hard, get out. That way you are heating the smallest area for as short a while as you can to get the puddle.

When I was starting out with stainless I wanted to go slowly. Lots of black beads. When I cranked-up the amps and moved more quickly, things improved greatly.

For keeping the back-side of the weld from looking too scary, try Solarflux.
    http://www.solarflux.com/Pages/Whyuse.html
    Unless you can back-purge, it sure beats the black cauliflower farm that will result on the back of the bead.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Coolmate 3

do you have a gas lense setup on your torch?? if not i would highly recommend it, i won't ever go back to a standard cup setup. i had foggy welds on normal steel and sooted up welds on stainless then switched to a gas lense and ohhh baabbyy what a difference.