Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SavageSunJeep View Post
    Cut cords, uncut cords, run out or just run away I use Harbor Fright angle grinders which have distinct advantages over nearly anything out there,

1) Can you spell cheap. I get them on sale with a coupon as low as $9.98 for a 4 1/2 angle grinder and it comes with a handle and a couple of grinding disks and a spare set of motor brushes.

2) Each angle grinder is a different experience:
    a) the on button may be on top or L/R side
    b) RPM appears to vary as much as 5000 RPM or more
    c) colors, blue, orange so far
    d) as cheap as $9.98, something $12.98 and if you don't have a coupon it can run you $16.98

3) Did I say they were cheap. I can get as many as 10 4 1/2 angle grinders for your 1.

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking DeWalt or anything else, in fact I own a DeWalt angle grinder. I don't work in a shop other than my own so no one really sees it but me. I have 3 HF and 1 DeWalt on my cart and its just a hobby for an old retired guy

I tried one of the HF cheap grinders and wouldn't even give it to a friend. I threw it away.

You couldn't give me 1000 of them to replace ONE of my dewalts. They're simply an inferior product. They're nowhere near the power, and just about worthless even on the lightest of tasks.

I think you wasted your money. Your expectations may be a little lower than mine. I expect the manufacturer to stand behind their stuff for more than the time it takes me to lose the receipt.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Monte,

Thats just a given about the silicone, sorry I didn't specify, that was mis leading. Knit kevlar is the cut resistant version, woven has a better use as Kinetic energy absorbing material utilizing its tensile strength.

Geez do yall not believe me about the gloves? Do I have to use my precious bandwidth to show a picture?

Whatever, it was an idea thats all , I never said #11: "ye shall purchase kevlar cloth and have thy wife sew it into a shield for divine protection of the sacred grinder cord and it shall come to pass that said grinder cord in accordance with commands 3 and 11 shall be protected by archangels , and thus and so forth and so on , hommina hommina , amen"

I prefer to just watch where the poop I put my grinders cord in relation to the spinning thingy on the end............. Sounds like we need to have a life insurance lottery pool on those of you who have this grinder cord problem and also own a "gas axe" (oxy acetyline rig for those of you who have never heard of such) .

Amen
    Pax tacum
    "the defense rests , youa hornery"
    SYNCROWAVE 200
    Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
    Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
    Makita Everything else
    2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
    "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
    USA 15T, 15V

www.myspace.com/blackbird455

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim View Post
    I tried one of the HF cheap grinders and wouldn't even give it to a friend. I threw it away.

You couldn't give me 1000 of them to replace ONE of my dewalts. They're simply an inferior product. They're nowhere near the power, and just about worthless even on the lightest of tasks.

I think you wasted your money. Your expectations may be a little lower than mine. I expect the manufacturer to stand behind their stuff for more than the time it takes me to lose the receipt.
    Some HF type tools can still be very useful, safe, and at a relative good price compared to quality versions. I have the HF metal bender and their bead roller which were both on sale at half price and work fine for what they are.
    But.........I don't want a $10 grinder with a $.59 wheel on it spinning at 10000
    rpm close to my body. I seen imported machines that were not bad untill
    a bolts breaks and it is such crap you just can't believe they used it. What grade of metal are the spindles in these cheap grinders. This so much crap in HF. A person needs to know how to wade through it. The stuff I might purchace there could all be put on one aisle.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim View Post

Fishy, I cannot address your experience but I can assure you I know a LOT of folks that use these grinders.

Power: Of the 3 HF and my DeWalt 1 of my HF that has my grinding wheel is the most powerful of the 4 grinders I have. Buy a large margin.

As for wheels I use DeWalt or I use a commercial brand I get at the welding supply.

Finally the bottom line and this is a point for all of you newby's and hobbyists that might be reading...There is an old saying, "form follows function". The work I do is rather crude as compared to what many folks might do. I do fabbing on Jeeps and about 98% of the work I do is under the Jeep often making a repair to a failed part and I need to upgrade for the beating we put our off road Jeep thru. I don't know of anybody that wants it pretty, just want it strong. For what I do HF is a great fit.

My expectations = the work I do and vice versa. Trust me I know HIGH expectations. At one time I worked in a highly classified area. 100% of all work was examined and checked for tolerance and I can assure you the margin for error was ZERO, there were no mistakes.

All work regardless of how small was inspected and tagged. Then an additional 50% of all work was spot checked. Nothing went out the door without a worker and inspector audit trial and was signed by all whose hands touched even if all they did was wipe it down.

Depending upon your "grade" it took a minimum of 2 or 3 folks present in order to do any work at all. And yes you had to have a partner to go the bathroom. Cost was not important getting it right was.
    Don
    Scottsdale, AZ
    www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
    Hypertherm PowerMax30
    Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
    Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
    Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
    10 Angle Grinders 8, 4 1/2" -2, 7"
    DeWalt Chop Saw
    Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
    12 Ton Shop Press
    Optrel Satellite Helmet
    Miller Elite Helmet

That's funny, cause I worked on 17 million dollar aircraft that I then had to fly in. I know what life and death is - that's not my beef with the HF grinders.

My issue is that the one I had, I used solely for cutoff wheels. Light duty job by anyone's standards. It slowed down in the cut!

Then, having used it for less than 2 months but more than 6 weeks (warranty of 90 days), the locking pin for the spindle was bent so far sideways I wasn't sure if I would be able to change wheels the next time. From the experiment, I decided that having the cut off wheel on a dedicated grinder was a worthy expense and I bought another dewalt. The HF castings are weak, and that brings credit to Bob's concern about how much shrapnel will be created when it fails.

I'll put my 10A dewalt dw28402 against a $10 HF any time, any where. I tell those who care about their tools not to waste their money.

I also have a HF hammer drill I bought for $20 that's every bit as functional as the Bosch unit I keep having resistor problems with (the resistors get hot enough to unsolder their leads). It's probably made by ryobi (not that they're a great manufacturer) as there is a ryobi stamp on the chuck. It's at least a clone of the Bosch drill, but it works better than the original at this point. I figured if it lasted long enough to sink my rebar for installing my block, I had gotten my money's worth. As it turned out, the thing isn't too shabby.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Default HF experience...

You can't nock harbor frieght for some things...

I had a job where we had MANY ornimental scroll handrail panels that were to be wire brushed, painted then lightly brushed and clear coated for a fatigued affect.

Lots of wire brush time. I bought 3 HF grinders for under $10 each and a bunch of better wire brushes (cheap ones scare me with the wires flying all over) a few pairs of safety googles and a bench buffer polisher with a wire wheel. Total cost - under $125.

Price for the finished rails, over 10K. I set the guys up and left for Greece for vacation .

Came back, panels are done, grinders go in the garbage, polisher goes in my shop. My nice Metabo grinders, still in great shape in my garage where they belong. Priceless.

I have bought many other things as well (some which i haven't even opened sitting in garage, like the 36" brake). I have a 110 lb anvil and well the craftsmanship... its an ANVIL for crying out loud!

I like some of the assortment packs that are handy and the multi bits are really not bad... I save my Lenox for important stuff...

The most important thing.. they have BLUE casters.. usually

John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
    MM 175
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Blue Star 185 DX
    Spectrum 375

You will be surprised about anvils. 100 yr old will ALWAYS give better ring than Chinese.

Don't get me wrong, cheap is good, Blacksmiths wouldn't even think about using an import "anvil". me I will use what I can.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

I went to the HB in Vegas last year. After donating money to the hotel, I bought the welding magnets (oh...about 30 of 'em) that were on sale. Had fun going through security. They work great Far as grinders:
    3 HF grinders friends had brand new, lasted 1/2hr then made REALLY weird noises and vibrations so we threw them away, never to buy HF grinders again.
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

One thing I have noticed about power tools and a person's luck with them, it varies by person. All the power tools I use are Skil, Bosch, or the latest on the Craftsman 19.2V cordless line. Of mine, 20 years old and still going. Of my fathers, only 2 Bosch have bit the dust, now they are scavenged for parts for the other units. For my dad and myself, we have had great luck with the chosen line of tools. Even have a couple of Makitas we really like. We do have a couple of DeWalts and absolutely hate them. Don't like the feel, or how they trigger. Luckily, they were both door prises and we didn't invest in them. Now, a buddy of mine, he can break a Bosch just by looking at it. He has all Makita and some old, old Skils and Black and Decker Industrial that just won't quit. He tried a Milwaukee brand drill once and it fell apart just after the warranty ran out. A friend of my dad, he has all DeWalts and loves them. Go figure.
    '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
    '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
    '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
    '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
    Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods

Yeah I got one of those HF specials one time, I think it had a trigger.......
    After maybe, maybe one hour, the 90 gearbox got hot enough that it caused pain through cheap leather gloves while changing discs. Guess the guy that is supposed to shoot the grease in there was sick that day cause the POSTMORTEM on it revealed NO grease. The gears had beaten themselves senseless. And the shaft had expanded enough to chew its bushing to heck and back.

IF we would all quit buying this crap, then they would quit making it, and our options would then be quality tools. And HF and HD might go the way of the DODO , and we could get an extinct practice called customer service back, in the locally owned hardware stores , that are almost gone.
    SYNCROWAVE 200
    Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
    Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
    Makita Everything else
    2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
    "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
    USA 15T, 15V

www.myspace.com/blackbird455

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder