Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Grinders

Quote Originally Posted by jonsam View Post
    Does it make the whole thing heavier? I could see that messing with the weighting of the tool.

Also how do you like the Makita? I've been pretty happy with mine but I haven't put it to too much use, yet.

It isn't any heavier and it helps keep the cord from twisting.

Re: the Makita. I have 2 very old ones (20 years, maybe) and they keep on going. The reason is, back then, Makita built in a breaker that would shut off the grinder when it overheated. Let it cool for a few minutes, push the little button on the back and it fires right up.

New Makitas and all other brands I have tried do not have this. Built-in obsolesence. Corporate greed.

As for DeWalt, I gave up on that brand a few years ago.

And for those of you who have never cut a cord, it must be nice to be perfect. Like I said, there are only 2 kinds of grinder cords....

"There are only 2 kinds of grinder cords. Those that have been cut and those that will get cut."

If you are having that much trouble with your grinders, I am starting to wonder what the cords look like on your saws, drills, and other corded power tools. Are you having to protect your welding leads from being welded as well?

The only cords on power tools I have had to replace were cut or damaged by the person I let borrow the tool. If they couldn't take care of my tools any better than that, they never were allowed to use any of them again. I was raised to take better care of my tools and property. If I borrowed anything, including tools, it was returned in the same or better condition than when it was loaned to me. This doesn't mean I'm perfect, I have damaged a cord or two myself and made a safe quality repair of the cord but have never had to armour a cord like you have done yours.

However, you are doing this to your tools. Its your prerogative.

Someone said, why not armour a cord with Kevlar. Well, there are a couple of problems with Kevlar.

1.) Kevlar can conduct electricity. Go buy some Kevlar Kite line and read the product warning on the label about conducting electricity. Also, its never safe to fly kites around power lines anyway.

2.) Kevlar vest can stop bullets or items with hi kinetic energy. Kevlar however does very poorly against knives or items with low kinetic energy.
    You can penetrate a Kevlar vest with a knife. You can even cut Kevlar thread and line with a knife or scissors. Its the tightness of the weave, and the layering of the Kevlar that helps it to stop bullets.

Its amazing what you can learn on the Discovery and Military Channel.
    '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
    '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
    '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
    '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
    Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods

Yes It is amazing what you can learn watching the Discovery and The Military Channel, but experience is a much better learning tool than spectatorship. Can one learn to drive a Cup Car by only watching NASCAR?

What makes Kevlar very special is its molecular structure, and extremely high shear and tensile stregnth.

Go get some REAL kevlar , not the kite string, medium weight cloth, and cut it with regular scissors. NOT HAPPENING !!!!!!!!!!! Not only does the stuff laugh at scissors , it is extremely efficient at dissipating heat.

If you can shield spark plug wires with it @ 30-60 kV, then I can assure you that 110 @ 7amps wont induct jack crap.

I have a pair of pigskin gloves that are lined with the stuff that I wear when entering a cell block where a knife or improvised sharpened shank could be used against me.

Don't try to tell me what kevlar will and will not do, please.

Ask an INDY driver what KEVLAR does, there are several of them still alive because of the "miracle" fiber

BTW........... I only watch Discovery, History and channels like that, and I am appalled everyday by the innacuracies they put out. Still enjoy it tho.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Accel/764149/10002/-1
    Last edited by Blackbird455; 03-09-2008 at 09:38 PM.
    SYNCROWAVE 200
    Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
    Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
    Makita Everything else
    2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
    "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
    USA 15T, 15V

www.myspace.com/blackbird455

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder

I've never cut or even knicked a grinder cord, but I am wondering.

The ones of you that have to armor your cords, are you grinding on a bench or something? Is the plug in front of you or something? Do you also burn through your welding leads? (ha ha , sorry , had to) I have all my plugs and my welder about 5 ft behind me , because I have everything plugged into the wall , and clear floor space in the middle.
    SYNCROWAVE 200
    Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
    Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
    Makita Everything else
    2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
    "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
    USA 15T, 15V

www.myspace.com/blackbird455

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder

Have you looked at McD's coffee lately? That stuff is LETHAL if you go by the warning on the cup!

Kevlar fabric's knife fighting ability is due to the weave. I used a regular pocket knife to cut my samples and was disappointed, because the other kevlar I've used in the past was tight enough to pose difficulty slicing. It's kinda like wire screen - you can get some that keeps out gnats, and you can get some that rodents can easily crawl through. Gotta buy the right kind for the job.

The weave they used on my samples was to provide an air gap between heat sources and the insulated member. Sparks are hot enough to melt tig hose insulation, so I was thinking along the lines of thermal and abrasion resistance. You'd need two layers and that would've made the whole concept cost prohibitive and cumbersome.

Look at how the OP has his cord wrapped around the wheel. The only way you're going to do that is with a lack of situational awareness. That lack of awareness is going to cause more problems down the road than just eating cords. I don't agree with the premise that there are cut and yet to be cut cords. Anything like that would be due to negligence, not an aspect of using the tool correctly.

This whole thread reminds me of another one recently on another forum. The poster is left handed and complained about shooting himself in the face with the sparks. Well, you can make them go any direction you want based on where you contact the work with the wheel. It's not like the tool cares which is your dominant hand.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim View Post
    Look at how the OP has his cord wrapped around the wheel. The only way you're going to do that is with a lack of situational awareness. That lack of awareness is going to cause more problems down the road than just eating cords. I don't agree with the premise that there are cut and yet to be cut cords. Anything like that would be due to negligence, not an aspect of using the tool correctly.

This whole thread reminds me of another one recently on another forum. The poster is left handed and complained about shooting himself in the face with the sparks. Well, you can make them go any direction you want based on where you contact the work with the wheel. It's not like the tool cares which is your dominant hand.
    I couldn'y have said it better myself. Part of using a tool or operating a machine is being aware of your surroundungs and possible hazards.

As for being left handed, Give me a break. The whole world is made right handed, so lefthanders need to figure out a way to fit in. I did.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird455 View Post
    Yes It is amazing what you can learn watching the Discovery and The Military Channel, but experience is a much better learning tool than spectatorship. Can one learn to drive a Cup Car by only watching NASCAR?

What makes Kevlar very special is its molecular structure, and extremely high shear and tensile stregnth.

Go get some REAL kevlar , not the kite string, medium weight cloth, and cut it with regular scissors. NOT HAPPENING !!!!!!!!!!! Not only does the stuff laugh at scissors , it is extremely efficient at dissipating heat.

If you can shield spark plug wires with it @ 30-60 kV, then I can assure you that 110 @ 7amps wont induct jack crap.

I have a pair of pigskin gloves that are lined with the stuff that I wear when entering a cell block where a knife or improvised sharpened shank could be used against me.

Don't try to tell me what kevlar will and will not do, please.

Ask an INDY driver what KEVLAR does, there are several of them still alive because of the "miracle" fiber

BTW........... I only watch Discovery, History and channels like that, and I am appalled everyday by the innacuracies they put out. Still enjoy it tho.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Accel/764149/10002/-1
    I'll have to disagree on the kevlar shielding the HV going through the wire.
    The high density silicone is the dielectric here.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird455 View Post
    Runout is as hit or miss as the manufacturer lets it be.
    and cord cutting is as hit or miss as the operator let's it be.

Cut cords, uncut cords, run out or just run away I use Harbor Fright angle grinders which have distinct advantages over nearly anything out there,

1) Can you spell cheap. I get them on sale with a coupon as low as $9.98 for a 4 1/2 angle grinder and it comes with a handle and a couple of grinding disks and a spare set of motor brushes.

2) Each angle grinder is a different experience:
    a) the on button may be on top or L/R side
    b) RPM appears to vary as much as 5000 RPM or more
    c) colors, blue, orange so far
    d) as cheap as $9.98, something $12.98 and if you don't have a coupon it can run you $16.98

3) Did I say they were cheap. I can get as many as 10 4 1/2 angle grinders for your 1.

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking DeWalt or anything else, in fact I own a DeWalt angle grinder. I don't work in a shop other than my own so no one really sees it but me. I have 3 HF and 1 DeWalt on my cart and its just a hobby for an old retired guy
    Don
    Scottsdale, AZ
    www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
    Hypertherm PowerMax30
    Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
    Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
    Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
    10 Angle Grinders 8, 4 1/2" -2, 7"
    DeWalt Chop Saw
    Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
    12 Ton Shop Press
    Optrel Satellite Helmet
    Miller Elite Helmet

Well, I'm left handed. I just learned to do things with both hands. I trigger with my left and control with my right. I can use my Bosch 1348AE mini-grinder with either hand. And I can send the sparks at myself or in any direction I so please. Its all about control. I just don't catch my cords in my tools like OP does.

Charlie
    '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
    '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
    '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
    '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
    Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods