Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Grinders and cords

To paraphrase on old saying: "There are only 2 kinds of grinder cords. Those that have been cut and those that will get cut."

As careful as I try to be, sometimes that cord seems to find its way into the wheel. After the umpteenth time, I came up with this solution. Slip a piece of 1/2" flex conduit over the cord, as shown (I hope) in the attached pics. Problem solved.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well thats no good, now it will just take longer to cut them?? Oh, wait i get it now

I have found that Home Depot and even Wal-mart has replacement cords that you can get and put on your grinders and other power tools
    for about $6 dollars . 8 feet long

Is this really an issue for people?

I know cords get severed when stock falls on them, or the tool takes a dive off something, or a hot drop lands on it. But I have never wrapped my cord around the wheel.

The issue I have with my angle grinder cords is that they get snarled when using different units switching back and fourth.

Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Does it make the whole thing heavier? I could see that messing with the weighting of the tool.

Also how do you like the Makita? I've been pretty happy with mine but I haven't put it to too much use, yet.

I have a Makita that I have had for years and years and it still works great never even replaced the brushes .. it just keeps on going
    I strongly recamend it
    I have a Milwaukee that I have replaced the brushes on and its not nearly as old as the Makita.

Thumbs up

I think it's an innovative idea. It would work really well where someone else might use your tools.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I have a Makita that I have had for years and years and it still works great never even replaced the brushes
    I have a 25 year old Black and Decker Wildcat that has the original cord.

Cords and fingers are two things that I like to keep away fron the grinding wheel or bead brush
    Jeff

Default grindage

i see somebodys been grinding aluminumumum
    Last edited by welderman23; 03-08-2008 at 10:39 PM.
    my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

Never ground a cord , but it looks like a good idea.
    Have ground the side of a few index fingers before.
    Especially when you are cleaning something with MEK !!!
    I have been tased before, and I would rather be tased than get MEK or tolulene in a cut !!!!!!!!!

BTW......Makita rules, dewalt drools........I have a small makita cordless drill
    that I use to sharpen my tungstens ( YOU KNOW , CHUCK THE TUNGSTEN IN THE DRILL AND GRIND IT ) , and that little $100 makita has less runout ( less than .003 @ 2.00 inches measured) than a $300 Dewalt 3 speed ( .060 @ 2.00 inches).

If you're gonna go BLUE (Miller of course) , then go blue - all the way, with Makita , cause Miller doesn't make power tools, and its the next best thing!!!!!

P.S. 5 Identical Dewalts were purchased at the same time, they all failed my Q.A. test.
    As have several other Dewalts............. Sorry to be so "Antidewaltishestablishmentarianistc", but I have yet to get one that was precise enough to use for metal. I guess they are good on wood and concrete though, because they will twist yer arm off, and thats where I give Dewalt credit. Brawn over brains all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are their grinders worth having?
    Last edited by Blackbird455; 03-08-2008 at 01:59 AM.
    SYNCROWAVE 200
    Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
    Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
    Makita Everything else
    2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
    "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
    USA 15T, 15V

www.myspace.com/blackbird455

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder