Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default gas preflo and postflo settings for mm252

best settings to preserve gas usage and still be able to weld thanks all

Default You're trying to save gas?

Gas is a bad thing, get rid of it! I use our 252 everyday and I'm going to take a shot at saying it really doesn't matter which machine you are using gas flow is gas flow and with that said it's more of a question on material and settings (amp/volt/ws). But in reality, welding gas is your best friend and most consider it as a "setting" i.e. mixture and FR (flow-rate) to archive a desired weldment on specific material. This can go on for some time and I think most agree that: trying to conserve gas is like turning down your amps/voltage to save electricity, not a good idea if your doing a critical weld on heavy material. So my advice would be to ignore the thought of saving gas and instead play with your gas settings to archive the best weldment you can on any given material. But I will say, I get a long real well @20psi 75/25 on mild steel if this helps?

Good Luck,

TacMig
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

Smile preflow and postflow

setings i was asking about is preflow 0 to 05 seconds before arc starts and post flow 0 to 25 seconds after arc stops

retiredIW,

New feature on the MM252. Not available on the MM251.

I would suspect that minimum (0-1 sec)preflow and (2-3 sec)postflow would be plenty if needed at all. There are, after all a LOT of mig machines out there which do not have that option. Never seen it to be a problem.

I think that postflow with tig is much more critical, both in protecting the weld and cooling the tungsten to prevent contamination. Too little post flow with tig virtually assures a contaminated tungsten. That is not a problem for mig.

I've never heard comments regarding pre/post flow with mig. Maybe some of the guys running the "big rigs" using a lot of CO2 (to help cool the gun) will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by tacmig View Post
    Gas is a bad thing, get rid of it! I use our 252 everyday and I'm going to take a shot at saying it really doesn't matter which machine you are using gas flow is gas flow and with that said it's more of a question on material and settings (amp/volt/ws). But in reality, welding gas is your best friend and most consider it as a "setting" i.e. mixture and FR (flow-rate) to archive a desired weldment on specific material. This can go on for some time and I think most agree that: trying to conserve gas is like turning down your amps/voltage to save electricity, not a good idea if your doing a critical weld on heavy material. So my advice would be to ignore the thought of saving gas and instead play with your gas settings to archive the best weldment you can on any given material. But I will say, I get a long real well @20psi 75/25 on mild steel if this helps?

Good Luck,

TacMig
    CFH not Psi