Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Re: Backyard welding

Hello,
    Great site.
    I am new to welding and have a few concerns regarding backyard welding.
    I live in one of the suburbs of Vancouver, BC, Canada. The lot sizes are typically 60' x 120' in my area.
    I hope to do some mig and stick welding on a DIY CNC router frame made out of square steel tubing.
    My question is: Am I likely to cause any problems for my neighbors, other than a bit of smoke and noise.
    I'm thinking along the lines of RF interference, magnetic fields etc. crashing computers, or interfering with radio or TV reception.
    I will be using a Miller xmt-350 cc/cv, with a miller suitcase extreme12vs with gas-shielded Flux cored wire (Argon/25% C02).
    Thanks.

Nope,
    I backyard weld alot and neighbors never complain (50x150 lot)
    may burn down a garage or 2 but you have plenty of room.
    Millermatic 210

No complaints here either. I don't run my CNC at the same time in the next room though. As soon as I pull the trigger the CNC stalls, even though it's on a separate circuit.
    I do a fair amount of welding in the evening, so if there was a problem (T.V.) I'd hear about it I'm sure.

Cool

My lot is 60x160 and i pretty much run a small factory from it. Zoning is the only issue i had...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Check your HF..

Generally you won't have any problems since the RF radiation is only good for about 5 feet and since you are being fed from a separate panel, line noise is not an issue. However, if you are using a tig with HF start, you may want to consult anyone within 100' to see if they have a defibrillator and/or pacemaker implant just to play it safe. You can find additional info regarding HF starts in your manual or here at Miller's site.

TacMig
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

The main thing I usually worry about is unintentionally exposing the neighbors to arc flash. I usually try to curtain off the area.

jonnymag
    seems like we went over the arc flash distance equation a wile back and after 50ft it was not a problem. i could be wrong here as its been a wile. maybe some one knows for shore, but its a degenerative thing as distance reduces its intensity or efect on the eye.

welcome to the site Stick
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

The flash could be just plain annoying tho. I'd want to TRY to be considerate if possible
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    jonnymag
    seems like we went over the arc flash distance equation a wile back and after 50ft it was not a problem. i could be wrong here as its been a wile. maybe some one knows for shore, but its a degenerative thing as distance reduces its intensity or efect on the eye.

welcome to the site Stick
    Strength of the arc, in amperage would dictate, as well as the process but here in BC Worksafe states 40 feet as a safe distance for unshielded eyes.

I guess 40 is safe, but at 39 watch out, cause your eyes will melt.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

I have a 11,000 SF lot in the suburbs and only weld inside the shop. My Syncro 250 will put out some RF noise when in AC/HF cont mode while welding Al. My wife came out to the shop to ask me to see what was wrong with the TV system. The TV was off but the AV sound system was belting out some loud pulsing static. Funny thing, it stopped making the noise when I came in with her to see what the problem was. I was not gonna confess but she is a sharp one and put two and two together. I try and plan AC/HF TiG work for late at night and make sure the AV amp is off.
    Stick and MiG don't seem to bother anyone, just the HF stuff.
    Weekend wannab racer with some welders.