Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Good advice for those that weld aluminum

If you think your aluminum welding skills have suddenly taken two steps backwards...

Check to make sure you didn't pick up a 308 stainless steel filler rod by mistake.

And, no Craig. You may not post in this thread.

"Boy, this Al filler rod sure is stiff"

How about a "Dumb stuff you have done while (trying) to weld" thread for stuff like this and my gas mix- mix up. I bet there are some good ones.
    Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Forgetting to turn the gas on with the mig is a fun one. It's amazing what a difference a little shielding gas can make.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    "Boy, this Al filler rod sure is stiff"
    Hehehe.

And it was fighting the heat. Didn't want to melt into the puddle. When I would try and put it in, instead of melting it would poke a bigger hole into the joint.

Quote Originally Posted by jonsam View Post
    Forgetting to turn the gas on with the mig is a fun one. It's amazing what a difference a little shielding gas can make.
    Indeed. I did that recently as well. I had shut off the gas because I was about to stop for the day. Went inside for a few minutes, then realized I had a little time left, so went back into the garage and started to weld again. Forgot about the gas. Oops.

I should shut up now or else nobody will ever hire me.

I've run the argon tank empty. Same result as forgetting the valve, just more gradual.

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    If you think your aluminum welding skills have suddenly taken two steps backwards...

Check to make sure you didn't pick up a 308 stainless steel filler rod by mistake.

And, no Craig. You may not post in this thread.

HA! HA! Been there, Done that!

how bout using acetylene as the shielding gas?? anyone done that?? I thought I saw a thread about it somewhere.. hehe

Another tip.... do not store your magnesium rods within10 feet of your aluminum rods.

Acetelyne tanks have lefthand thread to prevent just such a thing.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw