Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default idea

sometimes the LWS will have gas powered welders available to rent. Depending on your relationship with them they MIGHT be willing to "loan" a machine for good will with the school if this is all volunteer work with no money involved. Just don't forget to buy your supplies from them. If they wont loan it then renting for a day shouldn't be to much and maybe they will donate the rod.
    Last edited by diamondback; 03-06-2008 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Has anyone actually tried running any of these little machines from an inverter? I have a 2000/4000 in my truck, 20A of 120V.

I'v never tried to run one from an inverter, but I'd be curious to know what happens if someone has. My suspicion is that there would be issues due to the initial surge on powerup, as well as due to waveshape, but I certainly wouldn't bet the house on it.

I would, personally, use a generator. That I have done and it is the simplest method. For this job, you are real likely to be able to borrow one from public works/highway department, or the local equivelent. They may have trailer units or they may have them on the trucks, but they will most likely have them. Water/sewer department (if it exists) also a good bet. Emergency response or fire pretty much a gaurentee, as well. No cost but fuel, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Has anyone actually tried running any of these little machines from an inverter? I have a 2000/4000 in my truck, 20A of 120V.
    If the inverter is big enough it should do just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    I have a MM135 and I'd be REALLY surprised if it could weld up on that container!!
    Good luck and God bless
    The sides and top of the containers are actually quite thin

I have a Lincoln Sp135 Plus, a Honda EU2000 and a shipping container
    Last edited by Broccoli1; 03-08-2008 at 06:34 PM.

Superred,

A 5000w genset will run your MM175.

Ask around to see if any parent has one- you will need to make a Pigtail cord to go from the MM175 Plug to the genset

Heck if he could use the MM175, there ain't NO doubt he could do that!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by enlpck View Post
    I'v never tried to run one from an inverter, but I'd be curious to know what happens if someone has. My suspicion is that there would be issues due to the initial surge on powerup, as well as due to waveshape, but I certainly wouldn't bet the house on it.

I would, personally, use a generator. That I have done and it is the simplest method. For this job, you are real likely to be able to borrow one from public works/highway department, or the local equivelent. They may have trailer units or they may have them on the trucks, but they will most likely have them. Water/sewer department (if it exists) also a good bet. Emergency response or fire pretty much a gaurentee, as well. No cost but fuel, probably.
    I think that if the inverter was big enough it would probably work. I've been looking at them for my new work truck and am planning on getting at least a 3000w/6000w unit or a 5000w/10000w unit. I'm trying to find something I can hard wire outlets to. That said from all the info I have gotten you would need to run the motor at the same time to limit the battery depletion. Can't seem to find out how fast that would be, or how big the batts needs to be, ect.

enlpck I'm game to try if you've got a 110v mig. Mine died years ago but I did run it from a 4400w gen set regularly. The gen seemed a little power lite on the max settings on the welder. PM me and I'll get in touch with you once I find and install the inverter. I see your in Jersey and I'm in Philly. Probably in 2 to 3 months as I want to make an informed choice and could use some cash flow.

Just go check out an RV forum- plenty of folks are running Inverters and a bank 6v Batteries, Solar charging, Shore Power charging or Genset charger.

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

talks about different batteries etc etc