Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Camera

Default Digital Camera

I need a digital camera to post pictures of my shops here and on other sites. I have been looking at a Canon S2 and wonder what other members think of this camera or have other ideas. Would really like a zoom as we have elk lurking around our area and I would like to shot one (with the camera). I never thought that I would have a shop that I didn't have to share with the vehicles let alone 2 shops. I remodeled a old house on my place for my woodworking shop and then build a 40 x 64 with 14ft sides for the antique tractors, cars, truck, welding, and general place to pital.

Sounds like a nice place , hope to see some pictures soon. I have an Olimpus Stilus 410. It was relatively cheap and does a good job. Its a 4 megapixle and I can crop picture down a lot befor I get any distortion.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

I use a ultra cheap model from Target that cost $20. If I drop it or drop something on it the loss is slight compared to the risk on an expensive model. Besides for web purposes all you need is low resolution. A zoom model is helpful, but anything more is a waste in my shop.

My .02,

I have a sony and have had it for well over 2 years with no problems
    I have some co-workers that have just got cameras for Christmas the past Christmas and they tell me that my camera takes better pictures than theirs
    and mine is a 3.2 mega pixal the new sony's are 4.1 mega pixal
    they go for $197.00 everyday at wal-mart and you can get them onsale
    some times for about $ 179.00 I love mine small compact and take it every where

I will tell you this I have some friends that got a cheep price camera and got the HP howlet packerd and got just that a cheep camera and all of them have had problems with them.

good luck

I doubt my experience will be too helpful. As a former professional photographer, I wasn't able to settle for a "good enough" digital camera. I maybe use half the features of mine in my current professions...

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...roductNr=25523

But the zoom is awesome, especially on the computer after shooting at 8.0 MPixels. And I have the 1.6X teleconverter, too, so it's like a 600mm telephoto (if it was a 35mm) when I need it.

Smile 10X Optical

Mac, I've been wanting that camera or one similar to it for a while now. The next one I get will have the 10X optical or I won't get it *LOL* I'm not a professional but love to shot. I've got 2 Kodak's (215's) 2x optical zoom and for the way I like to shot isn't near enough but they have been great cameras..One of them has captured over 10,000 images and fired the flash over 6,000 times but it's starting to malfunction now..but I can't complain..The other one has captured 5,180 images and the flash has fired 3,079 times and it still works great. These cameras are probably around 5years old now.I also have an Olympus (cheaper camera compared to a lot of them out there now days)
    Camedia D-560 and it's been a real good little camera 3.2 megapixel,3x optical.
    Pitalplace, my suggestion to anyone getting ready to buy a digital camera is: READ anything about digital cameras you can find..Read all the reviews you can find on digital cameras and then pick out a few you think you might like and go from there as far as pricing, features, etc. A lot of people get Optical & Digital Zoom confused or don't know the difference. I don't pay any attention to digital zoom as thatís just digitally enhancing whatís already there..Where as optical actually brings the object into closer focus..Kind of like binoculars. One more thing, get you some RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES and a CHARGER that will save you a lot of money in the long run.
    You might want to try a cheaper camera something like aspjseaman is using then a few months later get something better.
    I'm not an expert, this is just my opinion..I'd say for serious questions ask Mac..he done messed up and told us he did it professionally..now we know who to bother when we have problems *LOL*
    I wish you good luck on your camera purchase!
    Regards, Farris
    Gone But Never Forgotten!

I have a Canon SD550 7.1mp that I got at Christmas. Very compact and takes a great picture. If I was carrying one around all the time I think I would get a more inexpensive camera in case it was lost or dropped. You can get a decent 5.0mp camera at a fairly reasonable price now.

Talking An offer to help....

Quote Originally Posted by Pitalplace
    we have elk lurking around our area
    Be sure to let me know when you want some help thinning those pesky elk out.

Triggerman

MIG it, TIG it, Stick it. OMG I love my job!

Mac, I to could not settle for "good enough". In the process of my search for a dig.(been a film/slide guy since '54) I had borrowed a couple of cameras, but could not get use to the view finder/display style of those things, so being a SLR user and Canon owner since '62(in country purchase), I opted for the Rebel XT. One fine camera, a bit pricey for just project flicks, however ya will never see an out of focus pic of your projects, that is if ya pay attention, as ya know whatcha see is whatcha get, LOL.
    Just my 2Ę
    Good luck
    L*S

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EXT/EXTA.HTM

Two features that sold me on the Olympus Stylus are the solid metal cover that slides over the lens when its not in use and the fact that its water proof. I take it with me when I go fishing. Its also pretty small , so it fits easily in my shirt pocket.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron