Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What size generator to power a Passport Plus?

What size generator would I need to power my Passport Plus on the 220 setting? Thanks.....

Default Generator size

I use a 5100 watt/6350 surge that runs my Passprt Plus and Maxstar 150 at max amps without breaking a sweat. It's a Coleman Powermate w/ 10 hp Subaru engine. I had a Powermate 5100 watt but it had a Briggs and Stratton engine that would not start much below 30 degrees. Small engine repair guys I talk to say to stick to Subaru or Honda engines.

I bought mine for about $500 at Costco. You can pay a lot more, but this sure works for me.

Default thanks.....

Mike thanks for the reply. I will look into what you have suggested.....

Dave

Question ? For mikeswelding

Quote Originally Posted by mikeswelding View Post
    I use a 5100 watt/6350 surge that runs my Passprt Plus and Maxstar 150 at max amps without breaking a sweat. It's a Coleman Powermate w/ 10 hp Subaru engine. I had a Powermate 5100 watt but it had a Briggs and Stratton engine that would not start much below 30 degrees. Small engine repair guys I talk to say to stick to Subaru or Honda engines.

I bought mine for about $500 at Costco. You can pay a lot more, but this sure works for me.
    Would your Powermate 5100 watt with the Briggs and Stratton engine power the welder? If so was the only reason you changed generators due to the cold starting issue? The reason I am asking is that I also have a Powermate with a Briggs that I was going to use as a power source.
    Thanks,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Would your Powermate 5100 watt with the Briggs and Stratton engine power the welder? If so was the only reason you changed generators due to the cold starting issue? The reason I am asking is that I also have a Powermate with a Briggs that I was going to use as a power source.
    Thanks,
    Nick
    My Coleman Powermate 5KW with a Briggs & Stratton 10-hp engine runs any 20-amp machine I plug into it.

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Thanks,
    Nick
    It powered the welder as good as the Subaru. Only problem is I live in the mountains in central Idaho and kept the generator in the back of my truck for onsite jobs. I would have to take the Briggs & Stratton unit out of the truck and warm it up in my shop before it would start. I have not had that problem with the Subaru engine.

I also had a problem with the unit running at full rpm when it was new. It was covered by warranty, but it was a big hassle because the closest authorized repair center was 80 miles away.

Default Generator

Mike I picked up a 5000 watt/6150 Surge Coleman with 10 HP Subaru motor at Home Depot tonight for $520.00. How loud are the Subaru motors compared to the Briggs?

Default Spectrum Extreme Plasma 375

Hey can someone help me out with my plasma recommendations for power..... :

Here is what it says in the manual..... :

Input Amperage Circuit Requirement

* A 120 volt, 20 amp (min.)
    - 30 amp recommended or 230 volt, 15 amp (min.) individual branch circuit

My new Coleman generator is 20 amps on the 220 volt. So will it not run the plasma efficiently on 220? Thanks....

ProWorkz,
    If it's new, can you take it back? or have your wife take it back? just explaing to them that it doesn't have the requirements you need to run your machine and get a bigger one...
    hope they exchange it for you! Any 220v welder usually needs at least 30amps. You'll probably keep tripping the breaker....
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Default Welder

Hey Bert, thanks for the reply.

My Miller Passport says it only needs a 20 amps 230. I bought the generator just to power my welder if I need to weld out in the field on one of my dump trucks. Some of these guys on this post say there 20 amp 240 plug on their generators run their 220 passport with no issues. Now I am confused.....

What do they mean by 230 volt, 15 amp min on a individual branch circuit. Wouldn't the generators 240 volt, 20 amp plug be a individual circuit?

* A 120 volt, 20 amp (min.)
    - 30 amp recommended or 230 volt, 15 amp (min.) individual branch circuit
    Last edited by ProWorkz; 03-26-2008 at 09:14 AM.