Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I need your ideas

Here is the puzzle: I have 10 frames 17'6" L 5'6" H 5'6" W and they weigh 3500lbs that I need to lift 13' and weld to embed plates in the ceiling. Placing them within 1/4" of the grid lines as well account for plumb. It's on the second floor and I cant get a fork lift to the site.
    How would you lift them?

TJ
    TJ______________________________________

Default lifting

use anchor bolts at the ceiling then use pulleys to lift each corner tie frames up to ceiling "TACK OR WELD" u have it

Assuming you have a hard floor you might be able to use a manual lift. We used to rent them to put up large signs. Looks like a cross between a plallet jack and a forklift. A hand crank raises the boom. I've seen riggers use them on several jobs moving heavy equip up to mezzanines. You would probably need 2 one on each end to handle the load and I'd still tie in to the ceiling pulleys to help steady it. A small sissors lift might also work.

****, Now that I think about it if I had to do it I'd probably talk to the guy that does the rigging for work medical equipment that I help install part time. They've got all the needed toys and let them worry about how to get it where you want it. Pass the costs along to the customer if you haven't already given the cust. a quote. They also carry the insurance if sh*t goes really wrong.

Lift jacks and cribbing. You can meet all our tolerances easily that way.

Hello, The equipment DSW is referring to is a Genie Lift. I have two of the 12 ft. models that I use to set beams and trusses with. I can flip the forks over and get 13.5 ft from them. They make several sizes with diff. load ratings, and as said above can be rented at rental yards. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasgambler View Post
    Hello, The equipment DSW is referring to is a Genie Lift. I have two of the 12 ft. models that I use to set beams and trusses with. I can flip the forks over and get 13.5 ft from them. They make several sizes with diff. load ratings, and as said above can be rented at rental yards. Good Luck.
    We have a couple Genie lifts at the plant, they have really saved us a few times when we couldn't get a forklift in

Genie Lift's don't have the capacity, even the contractor model has a load limit of 650#. he'd need 5, six to to be safe.
    Last edited by PUMPKINHEAD; 03-04-2008 at 06:36 AM.

Default Keep it simple stupid.

Do not preassemble the frames. Assemble the frames in place. Install one piece at a time off of scaffolding! If you already welded them together, you may have to cut them apart. Always have a plan! Remember the "6 P's".
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Production!

Is each frame 3500 lbs or the total of ten frames equal 3500 lbs?
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge