Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Cool

Welder, fitter, machinist, millwright, inventor, oil refinery operator, welding forum moderator, property managment, chainsaw mechanic, logger...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default what is your job?

Oil field Stainless steel wire feed welder ,
    24 inch schedule 10 ,
    And a wine connoisseur !!!

Christian husband father preacher bible school instructor bus driver and welder.( the last one pays for the rest) I build a lot of pipe fence, corrals, general fab, and repair. All portable out of my rig truck. Really old thread!

Oilfield production engineer and maint. Roustabout. Semi truck repair. Part time general welding / repair business

Self employed in the Ornamental Iron buisness,I try and do all my own hand forged work,why sell someone elses work?Use very little cast iron items although I do cast iron welding repair,mostly O/A with cast rods,along of course with mild steel ,alum,SS and brass.Also do some ag and consrtution repair but since I have parked my Big 40 most and I have a small shop 30 x 60 that limits that type of work these days.I also do a little blacksmithing with coal and gas forges as needed for my iron work and am currently rebuilding a trip hammer to put in the mix.I have been a welder since I was 18 in 1976 I have also worked as an estimater for a structual steel company/facility engineer for a bank and did a short stint as a conductor for a railroad,I am also an adjunct welding instructor.

combo welder/ heavy wall pipe welder
    tube welder for several companies main company is DZ Atlantic

turbo38t Guest

Self taught jack of all trades.....master of none. I am a self taught welder/fabricator primamrily. I went to a votech after having been a welder for a couple years just to see if I could learn something. I mostly repair construction/mining equipment as well as fabricate structural steal for NYC tunnels. Job is very diverse.....can be stick welding teeth on a bucket in a hole or TIG welding cast aluminum repairs in the shop.....currently I happen to be rebuilding the apron on a Sandvik Roadheader(google it). I am also a mechanic and machinist(somewhat). I do TIG, MIG, plasma, machining and powdercoating at home for extra loot. I got into welding via my love for lowrider minitrucks......cut em apart and weld em back together....

Another computer guy that likes to burn metal......:<)

Retired Electrical Engineer, primary career was as a product development engineer and manager for a (the) large computer company, communications systems products division.

Watched my Dad (a self taught welder, not his primary work) building stuff when I was a kid.. we grew up kind of poor and many times the only way to get something we needed (rural, semi agricultural environment) was for him to build it..

That inspired me to buy my first AC buzz box welder back in 1979, learn to weld by reading some good books on the subject and go burn some metal...building things I wanted/needed.

Did all the welding on a 67 Bronco a friend of mine built for rock crawling, and outfitting my own 4x4. Have done some welding for hire for a few people, by word of mouth referral, situations I know..

In a job after main career worked for a small company that installs emergency power systems (including some huge, heavy battery banks) for a number of large companies, universities, and hospitals.

Was a fun job that used EE skills to design systems we installed, but at the same time, outfitted a nice welding shop at the business (MIG,Plasma, the usual stuff) I then used the welding and fabrication skills to build some very unusual specialized (powered jack screw lifts, custom A frames to fit in tight locations, battery transport equipment, gantry lift inside a trailer, overhead winch powered lift for loading heavy equipment in an enclosed pickup truck bed. All this was used in removing and installing large battery systems, power boards in a number of locations that had very difficult access.. steps, un-moveable equipment in the way, etc.

Biggest of all the jobs we did was remove 38,000lbs of wet, potentially spillable lead acid batteries (each weighing 600lbs) and replaced with new sealed AGM batteries.
    Last edited by dandeman; 06-02-2013 at 09:11 PM.
    Hobby Welder for about 32 years
    Hobart 190 MIG with SpoolGun
    Hobart AirForce 700i Plasma Cutter
    Hornell Speedglas 9000X Helmet
    295A AC Buzzbox (what I learned on)
    Miller Bobcat 225, factory propane option, also serves as my emergency power generator
    Dandeman Dan's Toy Page

Default Job.........

I work as a unit supervisor for a multinational fertilizer company. That means I get the blame when something goes wrong and none of the glory when it goes right. I weld for stress relief. I was taught by Dad, who welded pipelines, potable water delivery systems, and ANYTHING else made of metal.

Default hello all

I am union boilermaker by trade local 455 i started welding at age 11 in school then last 3 years of highschool i went to techschool and also took welding went to state all 3 years for VICA , after finishing highschool i went straight to work for the army core of engineers as a welder then 1 year later was accepted to the international brotherhood of boilermakers apprenticeship, on a side note I have CPW (certified pressure welder)papers on MIG duo shield and flux core for carbon and stainless in the SMAW and GTAW I have super heavy wall carbon papers and unlimited wall stainless steel as well as inconel and hasteolly.