Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I am in the Water Well Service industry and work primarily as a pump installer. Right now, I am an Apprentice under my father's Master Pump Installer licence, but will be getting my licence soon in the future. We weld up parts as a custom fabricator because no one does work like we need for pump installations. We make our own Pit-less Adapter units for Wellhead completion or conversion from a pit or barrel. We use Maass Weld On Pit-less adpaters, just cut the right size and length of steel pipe needed for a job. No two jobs are alike and tend to happen in spurts. We make our own base plates and discharges for irrigation wells. Again, each job is different and no two are ever the same. Also, we fabricate our own tooling and bailing buckets to use in our work. What we use in our work is not generally available and is best made in house. Safety is also a top concern and goes into every item we build. Work smarter, not harder.

As far as learning how to weld, I learned from my dad and his dad taught him. There are times I think going to an evening class at the Local Junior College might help me learn more. I do know, the more I weld, the more my skills improve and the better my finished product looks over time.

My most recent welding project was sealing up open bar holes in the top of a steel cased irrigation well. Lucky for me, they were near the surface just under the well block. The actual hard part we getting the block re-centered and level over the wellhead. Now, our customers well is in compliance with state code for surface seal and completion.

Charlie
    '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
    '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
    '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
    '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
    Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods

I own & operate a 1 man sign shop. Been at it for a little over 20 years. I use my welding mostly for my hobby a 70 camaro 25.4 tube chassis (TIG). I use the welder occasionally in the sign business for sign frames & various brackets, etc. I learned to stick weld back on the farm many years ago. And, at one time I was a welder at Winnebago Ind. (MIG) welding bumper brackets.

I was a brewer for a microbrewery overseas till we moved back to the states recently, I just recently got done with welding school at tulsa welding school, and Im also a Padi Scubadiving Instructor. I have to say that welding is a cool job, but being a Padi Scubadiving Instructor is much better. Id rather stare at women in bikini's all day then some dude's a$$ crack on the job site, I think youll all agree.

This is my current home brewery

Padi Instructor's rough day on the job. Im the one on the left.

Default I am a software engineer.

I have my Bach. in Computer Science and am almost done with my Masters degree in Software Engineering from U of Michigan. I took up welding because I had two plates that had to be stuck together. Ever since then I have been looking for things to weld. I love it, but for now it is mostly a hobby. I plan on taking some welding courses this summer at the local community college.

I currently work for an outfit called CB Fabrications out of Woodward, OK. It's just a small business that a friend of mine and I started. We build and maintain various agricultural supplies (hay feeders, gates, fences, machinery repair, etc.). We also build various truck accessories (headache racks, tailgates, etc.). We just got our portable unit (Lincoln SA200 on an 84 Ford) goin so we can do some work outside of the shop. I'll try to post some pictures of our work when I get to my house and have access to them

On July 11th, I ship out to Great Lakes, IL with the U.S. Navy to train to be a welder, so I'll get my official training there.
    At Home
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Performance Tools 6" Bench Grinder
    Craftsman Hand Tools
    Craftsman Cordless Drills

DeWalt Angle Grinder
    1976 AMC Jeep CJ7
    1980 Ford F150 Custom
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado C1500

At Work
    Miller Bobcat 250
    2 Miller MM251s
    2 Miller MM252s
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    Snap-On Flux Core Welding Machine

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter
    Victor Torches

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4x4

Proud American Ham KE5TJA

cant wait ...to see the pics

i think its great that we got more rednecks joining up
    i was in a department on the navy ....the mens department

soo... with you going into the slippery sevice, does that mean your buddy at CB fabrications will have an opening????
    my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

I actually lived in the HT(Hull Technician (They are the welders of the Navy)) barracks when I was in Great Lakes. I was there for a year, really cool guys and I am way more interested in there job NOW than I was then. I was an ET(Electronics Technician) for 6 years. Have fun, I'm sure you'll love it. Don't sweat boot camp, let them break you because they won't stop till they do. When you go to the gas chamber don't rub your eyes or touch your face when you come out.

I am a welder/fitter/ for a hillside elevator(tram) company in Lynnwood, WA called Munson Works Inc. I went to Lake Washington Technical College and went thru the welding program, I'm thinking of going back to go thru the machinist program.
    Welders do it hotter!!
    www.Munsonworks.com

Propulsion Test Technician at a NASA test facility.

I was a weldor for ~12 years in various places.
    Was an Optical Instrument Tech in the navy.

Weld as a hobbyist out of my home shop now, do a side gig every now and then... wrought iron, bumpers, headache racks, a trailer once in a while.

Also an amateur Barbeque cook. Will build a rig on a trailer pretty soon.

Forklift / truck mechanic for Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
    Not much formal training, not much of a welder.

K.
    Miller giveth,
    Victor taketh away.