I am in the Water Well Service industry and work primarily as a pump installer. Right now, I am an Apprentice under my father's Master Pump Installer licence, but will be getting my licence soon in the future. We weld up parts as a custom fabricator because no one does work like we need for pump installations. We make our own Pit-less Adapter units for Wellhead completion or conversion from a pit or barrel. We use Maass Weld On Pit-less adpaters, just cut the right size and length of steel pipe needed for a job. No two jobs are alike and tend to happen in spurts. We make our own base plates and discharges for irrigation wells. Again, each job is different and no two are ever the same. Also, we fabricate our own tooling and bailing buckets to use in our work. What we use in our work is not generally available and is best made in house. Safety is also a top concern and goes into every item we build. Work smarter, not harder.

As far as learning how to weld, I learned from my dad and his dad taught him. There are times I think going to an evening class at the Local Junior College might help me learn more. I do know, the more I weld, the more my skills improve and the better my finished product looks over time.

My most recent welding project was sealing up open bar holes in the top of a steel cased irrigation well. Lucky for me, they were near the surface just under the well block. The actual hard part we getting the block re-centered and level over the wellhead. Now, our customers well is in compliance with state code for surface seal and completion.

Charlie