Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Syncro 200 tig problem I think

I havent used my tig for a while and thought I would get some practice in on aluminum. I ran a few short beads with no problem...hf start ok etc. On the fourth the hf start would not arc so I let my foot off the pedal and the post
    purge was on for about 10 seconds more. I'm set on 175 amps/AC/clean metal with good ground close to weld area. I tried again,same thing, no hf start. Third try it just blew a nice blackish hole in the material all the way through at start. alum is .060. This rarely happens but it does at times. Next bead went fine. No, the tungsten never touched the weld.
    Any Ideas........The material is 1.5 x 3/8 extruded box channel.
    Nick
    Last edited by monte55; 03-01-2008 at 10:38 AM.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

did the Tung. frost ??
    try striking it like a match to clear the frost then HF it, might help.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Doesn't that just contaminate the tungsten.......this has HF start
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

you would think so, but its just what i have heard the other guys do with frosted problems. if its cold i don't think the Tung. will pick up any aluminum from a small scratch to clear the frost. may not work, but cant hurt anything. if it doesn't work you still needed to resharpen the tungsten any way right.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Lightbulb

My 250 does that once in awhile. Pedal off, touch tip to work. Begin again normally. I had been doing this for a long time, but I didn't know why it worked.

FWIW: I've been reading past posts, somewhere in the last 96 pages, someone mentioned that a capacitor discharges when 'tip touching'. Allowing the HF to start right on your next try.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

yup Craig is right, my 180 would do that every so often. i just tuched Tung to the work with the power off. somtimes a small arc would jump to the work somtimes not.

Paul

The Lincoln Prescision Tig at school would do this sometimes. If you touched the tungsten to the metal, occasionally you would see a small spark, it would work after. I was working with low carbon steel, if that makes any difference.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

I had this problem with my sync 200.
    I found that the tugnsten was carboned back up inside the torch where it makes contact.dirty ,bad connection .
    I cleaned it ,problem went away.

Rich

Love the power of Blue
    Millermatic 200
    Sync 200
    Lots of Tools!

Thanks for all the responses.
    Fun...at first I thought you meant scratch with pedal depressed. Then I reread your post.

How often do you guys resharpen your tungsten? Seems like I need a six shooter torch. I'm using the red band 3/32". I hear they will handle most procedures. Thoughts.
    Nick
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses.
    Fun...at first I thought you meant scratch with pedal depressed. Then I reread your post.

How often do you guys resharpen your tungsten? Seems like I need a six shooter torch. I'm using the red band 3/32". I hear they will handle most procedures. Thoughts.
    Nick
    i also use red 3/32. i use it up to 200 amps then go to green but it allows you to lay a 1/8'' bead on aluminum........
    miller 330 abp
    everlast 225lx
    airco 250a tig
    hobart handler 125 mig
    o/a torches