Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs up

Welds look really good, the only thing is watch out for the crater at the end of the weld - just keep adding the wire as you slope out to avoid the shrink hole. This is especially important if you're making tanks etc as they can lead to pinholes/leaks.

Good work - Well Done!

Thumbs up

First tig welds.... .....They look pretty good to me period, let alone first ones!
    i've been welding aluminum for about 3 years and still can't get a consistent ripple like that, they look good
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Gas flow presents an issue at corners. When you weld up to a corner or start at one, the flow of gas gets split up, taking off in different directions on the planes of the panels. The turbulance caused by this can swirl air into the weld area and cause contamination. If you weld lots of corners like that, cabinets etc, try switching to a gas lens so the shielding flow is more uniform and spread out. This has worked well for me in the past.
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

Jonnytig... I thought about that gas flow thing the other day.. that's why I turned up the flow a bit. I've been shopping for some gas lens but my local Airgas crew is stumped when I ask about them... Wierd eh? I've seen them but don't know where to find them.. How do you go about getting a fatter more widely stacked bead along 3/32 to 1/8" aluminum. I've seen a guys tig welds before and he builds race car tanks for his own stuff and they all had a larger more spread bead stack on them... It was gorgeous. You've been very informative.. thanks a million..

HMW... these are the best welds I've done so far... I had some real beauties before this... hahah. I'm sure you could imagine. I've tigged steel and stainless a little bit, but this is my first week on aluminum. It's been way interesting... this makes tig on steel seem even easier!!

arc-zone.com has gas lenses. i got some CK ones with clear cup and creamic cups off e-bay. just gotta look around on e-bay for a bit to find them. they are a bit expensive in my opinion but what can you do about it right. after all what in TIG isent expensive. i would think most of the on-line places woud have gas lenes.
    i have not tryed one yet but these look interesting.
    http://arc-zone.com/catalog/web_stor...=6892375_53099
    Last edited by fun4now; 05-21-2007 at 10:04 PM.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by bikecollector1220 View Post
    I've been shopping for some gas lens but my local Airgas crew is stumped when I ask about them... Wierd eh? I've seen them but don't know where to find them..
    Call Jeff Noland at HTP America (1-800-USA-WELD). I got a complete set (.040", 1/16", 3/32" and 1/8") in a kit box for very reasonable cost from him (on sale for $29 + shipping). They work great and Jeff is a good guy.
    Last edited by phila.renewal; 05-22-2007 at 06:47 AM.

not too bad, dose he cary the replacement parts as well? i would think he dose, it woud be good to have a regular scorce for them as aposed to haveing to find them on e-bay when needed.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    not too bad, dose he cary the replacement parts as well? i would think he dose, it woud be good to have a regular scorce for them as aposed to haveing to find them on e-bay when needed.
    Yup. Give him a call with what you need. TIG torch parts are standardized and he's got them all plus the cool stuff like the gas lenses, and pyrex cup kits if you're into that.

He also has MIG gun parts and plasma gun parts for a variety of different guns. MIG and TIG machines, plasma cutters, spot weld machines, etc.

I gave up on most "anonymous" ebay sellers for that sort of stuff -- many places never respond to communication and if there's a problem or mistake, you are on your own.

HTP is a long established company with top notch customer service (like immediate response to emails, they answer the phones, they help you out, etc.). Jeff knows welding and one phone call conversation or email exchange will get you what you need. Only reason I didn't buy the HTP TIG welder was I wanted local (as in within a mile or two) service availability and my LWS carries Miller.

I'M PRITY WELL STOCKED UP AT THE MOMENT. I DONT GET TO tig AS MUCH AS I WISH I COULD.
    (stupid caps lock buttoon )
    any way, if i get to TIGing a bit more i'll have to give him a call.
    so did you go with the dyn200 then for TIG or bigger ??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Show off!!!
    Last edited by STACK; 06-05-2007 at 09:30 PM.