Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Anodized Aluminum

Is there a way to tell for sure if aluminum IS anodized?
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Anodize in non conductive so if you try to read Ohms across an anodized part without scratching into the surface it should read very high resistance or infinite resistance. I used to do anodizing in my garage. type II only not hard anodize.
    Kerry
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Thanks for the info...........I took a piece I believe to be anodized and the Fluke said infinity. I was given a receiver dish..large one with a black finish and after removal of the finish with acetone I had a circuit. What about oxidized aluminum. Will it conduct a path? Some say to remove the anodize before tigging and others say don't bother. This dish was about 10 ft diameter and provides a fair amount of project stock..extruded.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

its easy-er to weld with the anodized off it. if ya do a search on it you will find some recommend pulse to help break up the anodize layer. most prefer to take it off if they can. it acts like a thick oxide layer...well it really is one.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

fun4now is correct. Since an anodized part is non conductive it needs to be removed before welding. Anodize has good dielectric properties but it will not insulate against a welder. It will however hinder the welding process a lot.
    And if you removed the coating with acetone then it was paint not anodize.
    Anodizing is an electro chemical process that changes the surface to aluminum oxide and can be colored in a separate step before the anodize process is finished. The color in anodize can be as simple as Rit clothing dye.

Oxidized aluminum is nearly the same but not as thick as anodize and will present less of a problem when welding but I prefer to do all my aluminum welding on as clean a part as possible.

Aluminum by it's nature is oxidizing as soon as it come in contact with oxygen and it will build up a layer of oxide and then stop. this is why a stainless wire brush will cut through it and allow a good weld.
    If you were able to clean the part with acetone and got conductivity then it was for sure NOT anodized. you have to scratch through the anodize layer to raw aluminum to get a continuity reading.
    Last edited by kcstott; 02-29-2008 at 11:19 PM.
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Quote Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
    . this is why a stainless wire brush will cut through it and allow a good weld.
    If you were able to clean the part with acetone and got conductivity then it was for sure NOT anodized. you have to scratch through the anodize layer to raw aluminum to get a continuity reading.
    good to know ....thanks
    my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

One more question.........could aluminum also have a coating other than anodize like a clear coat, that one would think is actual anodize? They both
    would not be conductive so how do you know which is anodize?

Thanks guys for the input
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Aluminum can have just about any surface coating from paint to powder-coat to chrome. An anodized surface is kind of hard to describe. It is simply part of the metal and not a surface coating so if it flakes peals or chips it's not anodized, and if you can remove it with a solvent it's also not anodized. Paintball guns are anodized even the ones with splashed on colors. Most aluminum baseball bats are also anodized and some are then pad printed with the logo but still have an anodized layer as a foundation.
    Most aluminum bicycle parts are anodized. aluminum arrows for archery are all anodized. I'm trying to give you examples so you can find something and compare the two. just try to find something colored anything but black because a black anodized part may be hard anodized and is very different then type two anodize which is the most common anodize and is the only anodize you can color just about any color under the sun. Hard anodize come in two colors: black and clear(which is not really clear it's more of a muted dull gray)
    An easy way to tell if it's hard anodize is to scratch the part with a scribe. if it sounds like you are cutting glass and produces a white-ish powder it's hard anodize.
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

aluminum gets clear coats all the time, look at bike side covers. it is also painted, just like steel you can do what you want to it. anodizing is not the cheapest process and needs to be dipped in several tanks ( electrically charged as said) to get done. the parts need to be attached to a rack oe some form of hanger then submerged. larger parts might be painted or even powder coated if its a cheaper option and meets the makers needs. i did some anodizing in MN for a wile. we had big tanks but most stuff was smaller and lots of it. aluminum also gets a chromate covering instead of anodized some times to help the paint process stick.
    its a nice material, its light and can be finished in many options, unlike painted steel i scratch in painted aluminum dose not result in a growing rust mass.
    do what it takes to get it conductive then take a torch to some, see if its a clean melt or lots of burn smoky off. i
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES