Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Upgrading

Hybrid View

Cool Upgrading

I was just wondering when should a person go back to trade school for up grading there skills because things do change and it's good to keep updated on the latest technology.

Does your company have any type of training program? Where I work every couple of years or so we have someone come in and give sorta a refresher class. Also when our LWS have open houses we try to let some of our guys go, to see new products and materials.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

I attand the school of hard knocks!

I see a lot of familiar faces out there!
    Mike
    MD Welding & Fabricating L.L.C.
    mdwelding@sbcglobal.net

i thought about that myself. i came to the conclusion that trade school is not where i want to go. i keep reading about this cool stuff like electron beam, friction stirr, ect. i want to learn about it but, if you aren't in that industry youre basically screwed. i'm just a vessel welder, nothing high teck there. if it doesn't relate to my job, my company isn't going to send me to any seminars

Cool Upgrading

Quote Originally Posted by tsalagi View Post
    i thought about that myself. i came to the conclusion that trade school is not where i want to go. i keep reading about this cool stuff like electron beam, friction stirr, ect. i want to learn about it but, if you aren't in that industry youre basically screwed. i'm just a vessel welder, nothing high teck there. if it doesn't relate to my job, my company isn't going to send me to any seminars
    I'm sure in your line of work there must be changes or technique's that you are not aware of that you should be made aware of so you can do your job better and more cost effcient which will in the long run save time and money.What I said here is just not about this kind of welding but for all kinds of welding.

Default Open houses

The LWS that I deal with the most here in town is having a Grand Opening for their new store in June (luckily between race weekends) so I'm taking the afternoon off to check it out. Lincoln & Miller will be there with their travelling road shows. We can watch demos and try out all the new machines. It'll come in real handy for when my wife wins the lottery up here (yeah right) so I can afford any of it....LOL.

Later,