Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

admweld, so it that the wax/clay stuff I'm thinking about?
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

One vote for a small mig. You will be able to weld it faster with the mig,
    less total heat input and less warping. The warping is the big pain in the
    butt with stainless, big flat sheets are even a bigger pain.
    Tig works well for small patch work...cracked corners etc.
    Dave

maxstar 150 would be perfect for that kind of work, i wouldnt touch a counter top with a mig machine unless your looking to do a lot of grinding

just run a few small stiches on the bottome of the seam, and fusion weld the top side, that is how i see them done, and the only work you have to do afterword is pickel it, no grinding, buffing, etc
    mm210
    maxstar 150

Bert,

You've already got the best machine (Dynasty 200 DX) for the job. Just run it off 120v and you're there.

If you didn't already have the Dynasty, the new Maxstar 150 STH (w/hi freq) is the machine I'd recommend. About 14 lbs, and 120v capable. Plenty machine to weld the SS you're talking about. Check it out in the new Miller catalog.

Bert, I have done a bunch of commercial stainless countertops. The ones that I have worked with are usually 24 to 28 gauge brushed stainless. Very difficult to try and weld. Wherever the seam is going to be we usually break the adjoining edges and use a spot welder to join them. too much warpage and too much work to polish them up for a complete match. Wherever the seam lies we put a bead of silicone to take up the space between the breaks.

P.S. If you don't understand my post, give me a call and I'll try to better describe it. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Phax, what do you mean by "pickling" it? And as far as "welding the bottom seam and fusing the top", I thought the sheets were butted up (edge of each sheet) together? so there wouldn't be much of a seam, eh???
    thanks muchos,
    bert
    I'm not late...

Default SS machine

Best machine for onsite or mobile on SS IMHO is the Passport. It is light, runs on 110 or 220 AND has a setting especially for SS. I have done numerous onsite repair jobs in restaurants and it works great. Also, tri-mix gas is recommended for SS.

the passport would be grate is ya have the $$ and or the work load to support it. good excuse to give the wife to get a new toy. i was supposed to do some SS restaurant work for the wifes ex-boss,( that put the seal on getting the TA-185, it was building carts at home) but she quit the job and i lost my connect.
    the passport + allows for aluminum (not just a spool gun but a different arc as well) well worth the little extra $ to go +
    pickling is a chemical wash.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

mikeswelding,
    thanks, do you know the best tr-mix to use? I talked to a guy that had a friend using a "special" tr-mix for doing aluminum sched 40 truck racks. Racks were beautuful, and he said he didn't know what it was, but it was a "special" tri-mix his friend used other than 100% argon or 10% helium/90% argon that most people use for aluminum.
    Fun, do you know what the pickling recipe is?
    thanks guys,
    bert
    I'm not late...

Fun, do you know what the pickling recipe is?
    little dill weed, some vinegar, and..........wait you meant for SS.
    naaa sorry been years sense i worked with plaiting metals, and the old noodle is full of too much useless info to dig out the good stuff.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES