Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Stainless Countertops

Got a friend getting me interested in doing stainless steel countertips for residential and commercial. Mostly where the splice the pieces to put them together. So...machine and small bottle of argon gas. What would be the best portable machine for this? I'm not familiar with the thickness of stainless they use, though I'm sure it's 316 grade.
    thanks for your help,
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Oh btw, I have a Dynasty 200DX setup (air-cooled torch), but I don't know if all the places would have the proper outlet for it, especially at the residential places...Any machine you used that is 110 that could do the job?
    bert
    I'm not late...

Cool

Hi Bert, We just had a kitchen done at work from SS. It was 16 ga 304 and the corners were welded and the seams were short 90 degrees bent down and filled with seam sealer where the 2 parts butted together. The SS was also glued down to 2 layers of 3/4" particle board and a small trough ripped out where the seams were to let the small bends go down in. A good guy on a press brake can bend all the bends nice. The backsplash's were just SS channels 4" high glued over 3/4" board also then seamed to the counter top...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I've got a spool of .023 308SS MIG wire that I've been using for my misc. SS projects. Got it free from a shop that did SS guage panels when they went out of business. You may be able to run a small 110v mig for your field work.

Bob and DSW,
    thanks for the replys,
    Bob, did you know what they used for seam filler? I hear lot of guys tig the ends/seam together. I wonder what looks nicer?
    Like DSW mentioned, would a 110v machine be enough for SS 16ga 304??
    thanks all,
    bert
    I'm not late...

Cool

The seam sealer dosen't look that bad since the panels are bent down so it just fills up the little fillet. The sealer was just regular duct sealer like a tin shop would use and it was a silver color. Silver silcone would work also. I questioned the guys and the use of it and they said that how they do all the jobs. I maybe can get a pic of it...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

The way i have seen it done at my work is with a 110v tig like maxstar 150 i have a 140.After welding the seams i have seen these guys polish them with flap wheel and buff them with claybars ans the seams disappear.This is not something that i have personally done and don,t know all the exact products they use.But let me tell ya it is pretty impressive,you cant even find the seams.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

they make a lot of tools for resurfacing the SS after welding it, most are big $$'s. as for welding it i would just use the Dyn on 120V if your TIG work is up to scratch. then resurface it.
    SS welds about the same a steel as for amp's per thickness, but its much more prone to warp-age due to the density of it. keep that in mind, and do a little practicing.........ok maybe a lot of practicing.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Bob, pic would be great

Admweld, thanks for checking that out and remembering what they used. What are claybars? Same stuff you use on a buffer/polisher (wax stuff?)

James re: practice: OOOHHHHHHHHhhhh yeahhh!!! Friend is supposed to give me some SS shelving they are renovating from a resturaunt.
    thanks guys,
    bert
    I'm not late...

Default Claybars

They use them i believe to remove the heat marks.part of the polishing process. I have used them on a motocycle to polish the aluminum frame after sanding.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA