Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Longer power cable

Last week I bought a new Sycrowave 200 from the local Miller dealer. After I got it home and setup, I realized that I'm going to need a longer power cable. I originally toyed with the idea of making an extension cord using twist lock connectors. Then I found out that they're well over $100.00 each; way too much $$. So now I'm thinking about just changing the existing power cable. So here is my question. How long of a power cable can I run using 8 gauge, 3 wire? I'd like to run somewhere between 20 - 30 feet. Will the 8 gauge handle that length, or do I need to step up the size of the wire? In case it matters, I installed a 60 amp breaker for the new Sync.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

(o\_|_/o)
    Last edited by 67vw; 05-18-2007 at 02:21 PM.

What you want to do is fine and probably what I would do.

yep i would replace the existing cord insted of trying to add to it.
    congrats on the new syncro.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Longer power cable

I purchased one of these 25' 8-3 cords on ebay. They also have 50' cords. Sold by welding supply company and made for the 50 amp plug that are on mig welder cords. These are good for 40 amps. Is that enough amps for your welder?????
    http://cgi.ebay.com/EXTENSION-CORD-8...QQcmdZViewItem

i'm shore some one has the rated alowd for the 8gage i wonder how derated the extention cord is . if its right on you might want to conside going to a 6gage. its not like you will be roling it in and out as an extention cord so i think i would shoot for the larger just to be safe.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Thumbs up

On my PC at work I have a calculator that will figure up cable size, length, volts and amps for you. I'm at home today and dont have it here. tommorrow I'll check on it but I think Mac and fun4now are right though

doesn't that mac hine have pusled tig?
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Default 8-3

I put in a Syncro 200 about a year ago, with about 40 feet of 8-3 from my main panel to a dedicated sub panel. I occasionally weld at 150 amps or more and have never had a problem. I hope this helps.

preacher
    If you had fun making it, you did a good job

Miller Syncrowave 200
    Hobart Airforce 250A
    HH 135
    Smith O/A
    and a LOT of hammers

here is a web site I found that figures up all kinds of things relating conductors, lenghts etc

http://www.csgnetwork.com/wiresizecalc.html

There is lots of good stuff to look at on there
    Last edited by HMW; 05-21-2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.
    67vw

(o\_|_/o)