Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

If you want to build a cooler try 3/4" alum fin radiant heating pipe. The stuf you use to heat your house. When I worked for a compressor shop we built several of these. Just build something like a car radiator and put it in front of a fan. Ours was mounted in the exhaust fan for the shop area. Cooled the shop and the shop air.

Heres this if it will help. http://www.1969supersport.com/draw1.html

I also have a link to a 12 page discussion on air lines and compressors on my web site if your interested, also some stuff on negative pressure and supplied air respirators.

Rob

Jigs, sandblasting, shop, paintroom, rotisserie, pictures, little bit of everything.
    http://www.1969supersport.com
    Last edited by rubadub; 03-05-2008 at 06:23 PM.

In a small shop 1/2 line is plenty and no need for anything larger than 3/4. Most places have one thing running at a time. Simple is good, I have extra piping but really only 5 places I use air, Menard's has one of those tool time kits, regulator, filter, all 1/2 ports under 50$, I threw the oiler away.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sberry; 03-06-2008 at 03:02 PM.

Default Wrong post forum

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    If we want these forums to stay clean an neat .
    We should moderate ourselves and try to post in the correct forum.
    This should maybe be in the Disussion Forum.

this is one of the points i made before the change and why it was a bad idea. many people ( myself included) don't care what section they are in or are not shore which is the right one.
    next we have members telling others they did it wrong or control your self, before long the screw you , bite me starts and we loose members. so let it go, if he wants it here he will post it here. its his question, let him categorize it.
    maybe he has a nascar paint booth. painting car's is not motor sports??? i think it is. let others make there own choices.
    I'll have to agree. I wander all over these forums. I jump in when I feel like it. I don't care where it is. I suppose the moderator can move the post to the correct area (if necessary). I thought that what a moderator was for.
    Thanks, BH

the moderator can move the post to the correct area (if necessary). I thought that what a moderator was for.
    Thanks, BH

the true Miller moderators prefer to let the board run its self without too much interference. if fighting starts they warn then suspend members as needed. moving posts is not that big a deal and not enough moderators to keep up with them all.
    the few member moderators like myself only step in for excessive profanity, nudi ty, and spam. beyond that we leave members posts for miller to handle.
    we all just need to let things slide once in a wile and every one will be happy and get along......tall order, i know.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by eyecandy View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, I will have to look into it.

How would it be to run the 3/4" line but still have that 2x3/8" reducer off the tank?

Enough talk on the PVC, I already know I am going to run copper.
    If you stay with the 2x3/8 reducer at the tank your SYSTEM will only flow to the flow potential of the 3/8 reducer. It will not matter how large your downstream piping is.
    Change the reducer to a 2x "whatever size piping" you are going to use.

Griff

The fitting on the tank will still frow more cfm then the compressor can put out, changing the fitting will not hurt anything, but I don't think you will see any benifit.
    The larger downstream piping will act as a receiver storage tank.

I have a similair type compressor, Cambell Halsfield, I will diffinantly build an air system in the new shop (I actually have two of these compressors and will run them in tandom when needed), but for the past 4 years I have just used a 3/8 hose.

I run a 3/8 hose from tank , through the filters to the work 3/8 hose. The sandblast cabinet sucks the compressor down in about six minutes.
    Not the ideal setup but I use it this way almost everyday.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Quote Originally Posted by tnjind View Post
    The fitting on the tank will still frow more cfm then the compressor can put out, changing the fitting will not hurt anything, but I don't think you will see any benifit.
    The larger downstream piping will act as a receiver storage tank.

I have a similair type compressor, Cambell Halsfield, I will diffinantly build an air system in the new shop (I actually have two of these compressors and will run them in tandom when needed), but for the past 4 years I have just used a 3/8 hose.

I run a 3/8 hose from tank , through the filters to the work 3/8 hose. The sandblast cabinet sucks the compressor down in about six minutes.
    Not the ideal setup but I use it this way almost everyday.
    Not a very big compressor if it cannot fill a 3/8" hole.

Griff

Nope, just like the OP has.

That is why I think a larger fitting is unnecassary.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Default not so simple...

Short restrictions in air supply piping do not act as predictably as one may think. The smaller nipple may not play a role under most circumstances. The air is compressed and then finds the pressure/volume on the other side of the restriction until the point that the "choke flow" ratio is reached.

Choke flow calculations are fairly deep into calculus and I certainly am not an expert. What it boils down to is that the pressurre on the downstream side of the restriction would need to be almost half of the supply side before there would be any restrictive effect. I do not think you will experience any problem unless you plan on running multiple high air volume consumption tools at the same time, like a DA and a plasma cutter or impact. You just would not normally use the air fast enough for that to act as a restriction.

That is why most smaller compressors only have a 3/8 outlet.

Of course, to gain the greatest volume and delivery regardless of how quickly the air is consumed, opt for the largest fittings. Easier than trying to do the calculus

I just wanted to point out that some minor restriction may be irrelavant based on the actual use of the system.

Thanks,
    John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
    MM 175
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Blue Star 185 DX
    Spectrum 375