Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

have been using pvc for 25 years..no problem...you just have to use the thicker 1/2" pipe,not the paper thin sprinkler low pressure stuff

make you wall mounts with a 90 degree elbow or T if you want a drain, welded to a plate with holes for mounting

The compressor I have had the 2" to 3/8 bushing with the O ring. It cost me $12.00 to have it drilled and tapped for 3/4 pipe thread at the neighborhood machine shop.

To insulate the vibrations of the pump from the distribution piping, have a hose made. NAPA made mine or you could have it made at a hydraulic place.

Quote Originally Posted by tenfingers View Post
    The compressor I have had the 2" to 3/8 bushing with the O ring. It cost me $12.00 to have it drilled and tapped for 3/4 pipe thread at the neighborhood machine shop.

To insulate the vibrations of the pump from the distribution piping, have a hose made. NAPA made mine or you could have it made at a hydraulic place.
    Thanks for the idea on fixing the reducer. Did you ever look into a replacement?

What kind of hose did you get made?

I think I am going to run atleast 3/4 for the mains and 1/2 for the drops. As I was looking over some specs on the tools I have they recommend 3x for the mains and 2x for the drops. I gotta check some pricing for the copper, but I may jump to 1" and 3/4". For the time being to atleast use it temporarily I am going to hook my hose reel up to it.

What kind of oil/moisture seperator should I get? How many (needed for each drop)? and what kind of placement? I have a 12gal oilless compressor and I purchased a moisture seperator for that, but this will get much more use and with being an oil compressor I definatley need a seperator.

As far as a replacement for the 2" I figured the shop would have it done in less time than it would take to start looking for it.

The hose is 3/4 hydraulic hose rated around 3000 psi if I remember right.

Dry clean air is very important. I use a coil of 1/2 copper cooled by a fan that goes on and off with the compressor.

The coil is plumbed between the compressor and the tank to get the most temperature drop. The cooler the air the less moisture it can hold.

Most people I know use the motorguard filter with reuseable elements.

As far as a replacement for the 2" I figured the shop would have it done in less time than it would take to start looking for it.

The hose is 3/4 hydraulic hose rated around 3000 psi if I remember right.

Dry clean air is very important. I use a coil of 1/2 copper cooled by a fan that goes on and off with the compressor.

The coil is plumbed between the compressor and the tank to get the most temperature drop. The cooler the air the less moisture it can hold.

Most people I know use the motorguard filter with reuseable elements.
    Thanks again!

I have question about the coil you made up, do you have any photos of it or can you get me some? I was thinking of doing something like this to cool the air intake the tank I guess kinda like an intercooler. Because I wanted a two stage compressor, but the price of the Kobalt was to hard to pass up.

What is the difference between a single and two stage compressor? All I can see is that the two stage are a V-compressor where as the single is an inline, is that the only difference?

Two stage compressors have two cylinders the first feeding the second typically compress to 175 psi.

Single stage compressors typically got to around 125 psi or so.

I don't have a camera to post pics.

I just took the coil out of the box and formed it into a shape like a coil spring on a car with space between the windings. I fed air in the top and out the bottom so the moisture would flow downhill into the tank.

It is important to drain the tank at the end of the day.

I put a drain valve from a semi truck air tank and ran the cable over to the light switch so I can just pull it when I turn out the lights.

Here are a couple of sites to search for info on dryers/seperators

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php

http://s6.invisionfree.com/ToolBoxTalk

SFT is a good bunch of people very helpful.

TBT has some good info but people not as nice

Your results may vary
    Last edited by tenfingers; 03-01-2008 at 10:43 PM.

Here is a picture of similar coil. post #6 top pic

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ght=Air+dryers

Here is the valve I use for the drain.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...alve+%2f+Drain

Another suggestion would be to have your quick disconnects pointing down to reduce stress on the hoses.

Some more info you may find helpfull

http://www.tptools.com/StaticText/ai...ng-diagram.pdf
    Last edited by tenfingers; 03-01-2008 at 11:07 PM.

Here is a picture of similar coil. post #6 top pic

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ght=Air+dryers

Here is the valve I use for the drain.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...alve+%2f+Drain

Another suggestion would be to have your quick disconnects pointing down to reduce stress on the hoses.

Some more info you may find helpfull

http://www.tptools.com/StaticText/ai...ng-diagram.pdf

Thanks again! The coil was not quite what I had in mind, but it seems to work.

The link you posted up on the drain valve does not work do you have a part number?

Default air pipe

Id use black or galv. or if you want quick use poly,
    trailblazer 280 nt with 3000 hrs and running strong
    today I bought a new trailblazer 302
    and a new s-32p

dynasty 200 dx
    maxstar 140
    passport
    XR pushpull
    spectum 500
    cutmaster 50