Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Plasma cutter

Default Plasma cutter

So i am looking into getting a plasma and i have a one question, so lets say for instance the miller 375 its min. is 3/8 and max is 5/8. which is great and all for what i am using it for BUT what if i want to use it on some thin sheet metal? will it not work?

Thanks
    Ken

It will work just fine

Default Get miller 375 extreme with case.

I used OA torch for years because most of my stainless was machined and not cut from sheet. But I had a big stainless project and invested in the 375 extreme with case. I wonder how I ever lived without it!

As far as thin stuff is concerned, I cut 28 gauge sheet metal with it. I have only 3 gripes...

I thought my mobile air compressor was big enough because it was rated at higher CFM. WRONG. The CFM rating of air compressors is usually at 60psi. This unit locks out when the pressure drops below 80-90psi. Not a problem with the unit... more of a problem with my air compressor!

The blue case protects it and keeps it all together, but it would look right at home in a pawn shop because it screams PLEASE STEAL ME - I'M VERY EXPENSIVE AND EASILY CARRIED! More of a gripe with the pervasivenes of tool theives. BTW I think the arabs have the right idea - cut off their hand! They'll can only do it twice, but the first time usually does the trick.

Last gripe - I didn't get this a LONG TIME AGO! Money well spent.

Default Plasma Cutter reference links

Ken,

I am posting links to questions I posted a year ago about choosing a plasma cutter. Makes for excellent reading, reference and information.

This first link was when my dad and I started looking into getting one.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ead.php?t=9769

This second link goes into more in depth discussion about choosing the right machine for ones application.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ead.php?t=9802

Feel free to search for post I have started or answered, especially in regards to plasma cutters. PM (Private Message) me if you have any further questions or simply post here.

For those of you who know about some of my postings and the trials and tribulations in the early days of using our Hypertherm PowerMax 1000, I am happy to say, again, I love my HT PM 1000, I works great. There is a learning curve to using any new device or piece of equipment in the shop. I am still learning a few new ones everyday.

Charlie
    '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
    '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
    '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
    '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
    Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods

Default Probably get booed but..,,

Now before anyone gets excited, please be aware that my shop has 9 Miller tig's & migs and the decor is primarily blue! Now with that said, we use only Esab plasma cutters for several reasons and our selection of CNC Plasma and water-jet automation was a one package deal with Esab. 2) I have only observation experience with Miller plasma so I won't say "Esab is better". However, our Esab cutters have NEVER let us down and make incredible pass, freehand, angle bevel and other cuts with remarkable accuracy and ease. I'm just offering a few cents worth of options and I think that maybe it's good to check out all your options.

http://www.esabcutting.com/cutting/e...ng-machine.cfm

TacMig
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

When buying a plasma cutter I would suggest that ya find one that's rated for the thickness that you want to cut then buy one at LEAST 1 size bigger.
    Good luck,
    Bulldog
    5 Passport Pluses
    2 MM 212's
    MM 210
    MM 251 MIA
    MM 350 P w/Python
    Syncrowave 250
    w/ tig runner
    Trailblazer 302
    12RC w/meters
    Spectrum 1000
    Spectrum 2050
    2 Black BWEs
    Joker BWE
    Star & stripe BWE Digital
    2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
    CUMMINS BABY

Default thermadyne 80

Hey,
    This is just my second post. Can anyone give me some advice on a plasma cutter i just picked up. I didn't get an owners manual and I am having a hard time getting it to cut properly. The first few cuts it did pretty well, then it would cut for a few seconds and pause. It didn't cut, just gouge, and stop after a few moments. I turned it up and increased the air but it is still acting up. I just stopped cause I didn't want to blow the darn thing up.
    Any hints would sure help!
    Thanks
    JUST HANGIN IN NEW MEXICO

Irongrl, Check to make sure your grounded good. I will usually grind a small spot clean to make sure I have a good connection. If not it will run just as you described.
    Webb's Welding and Repair LLC
    MM210 w/a 3035 spoolgun
    Syncrowave 250
    Spectrum 625
    Trialbazer 302 w/HF
    http://webbsweldingandrepair.com/home

Default Air or gas??

It sounds as if you are using compressed air from a compressor. If you are, you more than likely have water from the compressor getting into the system. usually the first few cuts will work fine, then the water works its way into your system and it's nothing but trouble and the symptoms are like you described. If you are in fact using a compressor, I recommend 1-water filter at your compressor along with a standard air filter and one water filter at your plasma air entrance. The air must be DRY, DRY and DRY. If you are still having problems check: ALL electrical connections and proper air/gas pressure.

Good luck..

TacMig

Quote Originally Posted by irongrl View Post
    Hey,
    This is just my second post. Can anyone give me some advice on a plasma cutter i just picked up. I didn't get an owners manual and I am having a hard time getting it to cut properly. The first few cuts it did pretty well, then it would cut for a few seconds and pause. It didn't cut, just gouge, and stop after a few moments. I turned it up and increased the air but it is still acting up. I just stopped cause I didn't want to blow the darn thing up.
    Any hints would sure help!
    Thanks
    Last edited by tacmig; 02-28-2008 at 09:44 PM.
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

Irongrl,

What brand is your cutter? If its brand new, and your issue is not grounding or moisture in the air you may need to see if there is a Service Bulletin out from the Manufacture to Service centers for your brand and model of plasma cutter. My HT PM 1000 was one of a batch of units that suffered bad solder joints the main control boards inside the unit. They switched to a lead free solder at the end of 2006, when my unit was built. It worked fine for a few days then started wigging out. If the problem isn't air quality or ground quality, it could be a manufacturer defect and subject to warranty repair.

Charlie
    '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
    '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
    '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
    '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
    Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods