Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MM 135 flux core question

I'm looking to try flux core in my Millermatic 135. My current setup is C-25 (25% CO2/75% Ar) shielding gas with .024 ER70S-6 solid wire. I'm stuck welding outside exclusively and I'm curious to see if gasless wire will give me better performance.

My question is whether I should go with .030 or .035 wire.

Most of my work tends to be at the high end of the machine's capacity if that makes any difference.

Thanks

how thick is the material ? id go with the .035
    if you are running at the high end of the units capacity(thicker metals) ,using flux core will give you better penetration which will give you a better weld ,and let you lower you settings (giving a chance to lower the duty cycle)plus i like taking the nozzle off to weld.
    you need to be careful where you buy yer wire
    i got some fluxcore from Harbor Freight it doesnt burn right ,with unstable arc and way too much spatter i switched to a roll Fabshield28b from hobart i think,and worked perfectly
    my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

100% what he said.
    i also only use hobart or lincoln wire . saving a $ or 2 on wire is not good.
    .035 flux will run great in the MM135, and hot too.
    taking off the nozzle is ok but i like to just cut back a one instead. this will keep the gas holes coverd so later when you use gas they will be clear. a few spare parts for the front of the gun will make life easier on you if you are switching back and forth between gas and flux.
    also don't forget to revers the polarity when you change over.

FWIW: strait Co2 works great in the MM135. i been running it for about a year now after many years of C-25. the Co2 welds just as nice and is much less $$. you can also go a lot longer on a smaller tank. my Co2 tank is 1/2 the size of my C-25 one and its lasting 3 times as long. $16 to fill.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

i forgot about switching polarity

DUUUURRRR
    feel free to P/M me

Quote Originally Posted by jonsam View Post
    I'm looking to try flux core in my Millermatic 135. My current setup is C-25 (25% CO2/75% Ar) shielding gas with .024 ER70S-6 solid wire. I'm stuck welding outside exclusively and I'm curious to see if gasless wire will give me better performance.

My question is whether I should go with .030 or .035 wire.

Most of my work tends to be at the high end of the machine's capacity if that makes any difference.

Thanks
    I ran a lot of .035 flux core through my MM135 before I switched to COČ. I thought the machine ran it well, and, as you, I was at top end most of the time.

ER70S-6 in .024 with COČ performed very nicely in that welder also.

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

.035 sounds like the ticket then. Will I need to buy a new roller?

i run .023-.025 and Co2 exclusively, when not using flux outside. works great.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

no you will not need another set of rollers.
    i advise you to loosen the tension where the drive rolls feed the wire when switching to a larger wire.it helps with premature drive roll wear.
    feel free to P/M me

That's good to hear. It looks like it won't be a big investment at all to try this out. The .035 wire is cheaper than the .030. I'm planning on getting my wire at Central Welding so I don't think they're going to sell me anything crummy.

Thanks

Hope you got the .035 wire. I have .030 flux core in mine, does great on 1/8" stuff, but crappy on 3/16" stuff. Next roll will be .035
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time