Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Home Made Press plans? & Ring Roller Info??? Help Please??

Does anyone know where I colud buy some plans to buid a nice 20 to 50 ton press?? thanks for you help.

Also can someone recoment wher and what kind of ring roller to buy if I have a 1000 to spend? Also has anyone bought one off ebay the one for under 200 any problems???
    I BLEED MILLER BLUE!
    DoubleEdgeWelding@kc.rr.com
    GROUNDED IN FAITH!
    I have what my Big Bro JESUS has Blessed me with:
    Miller 251,Miller Syncro 180,Miller 625 Plasma Cutter
    Want to Buy a Miller PC-300
    Dayton 7"x12" Horiziontal Band Saw, Dewalt 14" Abrasive,& Cold Chop Saws,4' Box/Pan Brake,Also A Complete Wood Shop. Now alls I need is a bigger shop!

Thumbs up cheepo ring roller

i got the one off e-bay. added a ring to the handle made out of 5/8" all thread. it gives good grip and easy feed. i used the ring roller to make the ring for it as well as a few other projects with good results. mine was $64 before shipping. but i have had it for a wile .
    all in all i think its a great tool, just as nice as the $800 one.
    here is a pic of the handle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

my press is homemade and has a 50 ton hydraulic truck jack. i made it out of a 16 foot long steel I-beam. basically cut it up into 4 pieces, 2 sides, a top and bottom. welded in some 1/4" plate to the ends of the top & bottom. drilled the 1/4" end plates for 6 grade-8 bolts per end. made some 2" square tube legs so it would stand upright.

honestly, i use the press as a gigantic vise more than i actually press things together.

if you use your imagination a press is pretty easy to build.

Wink

I have the same ring roller I bought off ebay as well as fun4now. Good piece of equipment. I don't use it that often but when I do it is indispensable. I am definately going to copy the ring handle now though (not sure why I didn't think of it before.
    When it comes to a press, let your mind decide what to build. What are you going to use it for? Are you going to use it a fair bit? If so concider using an electric motor and hydraulic pump, it can sure speed up production, of course it will cost a little more though. It can be a very handy vise as well.

Default I wonder?

I'm thinking of something.... If I'm going to build a press & buy a JD hydraulic tubing bender & know absolutely nothing about hydraulics??? Could a guy buy one motor & pump and use it on both?? I run Muskogee Ok everyday and Wheeler Metals has a 12v hydraulic pump. Could a guy buy some thing like this in a 110 v and swap it from the bender to the press?

Quote Originally Posted by Amos F. View Post
    I have the same ring roller I bought off ebay as well as fun4now. Good piece of equipment. I don't use it that often but when I do it is indispensable. I am definately going to copy the ring handle now though (not sure why I didn't think of it before.
    When it comes to a press, let your mind decide what to build. What are you going to use it for? Are you going to use it a fair bit? If so concider using an electric motor and hydraulic pump, it can sure speed up production, of course it will cost a little more though. It can be a very handy vise as well.
    I BLEED MILLER BLUE!
    GROUNDED IN FAITH!
    Dayton 7"x12" Horiziontal Band Saw, Dewalt 14" Abrasive,& Cold Chop Saws,4' Box/Pan Brake,Also A Complete Wood Shop. Now alls I need is a bigger shop!

I'm going to buy one of those 18" press brakes to make brackets.
    I BLEED MILLER BLUE!
    GROUNDED IN FAITH!

Default Thanks

Any pictures of your press?? I would like to build one and use one of the harbor freight 50 ton air over hydraulic jacks can you think of any problems I migh have using one of those jacks??

Quote Originally Posted by ridesideways View Post
    my press is homemade and has a 50 ton hydraulic truck jack. i made it out of a 16 foot long steel I-beam. basically cut it up into 4 pieces, 2 sides, a top and bottom. welded in some 1/4" plate to the ends of the top & bottom. drilled the 1/4" end plates for 6 grade-8 bolts per end. made some 2" square tube legs so it would stand upright.

honestly, i use the press as a gigantic vise more than i actually press things together.

if you use your imagination a press is pretty easy to build.
    I BLEED MILLER BLUE!
    GROUNDED IN FAITH!

Awsome DUDE Thanks thats the one I've been looking at. I don't know how much I'll use it so I'm nervious about spending 800 on the shop outfitters one.

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    i got the one off e-bay. added a ring to the handle made out of 5/8" all thread. it gives good grip and easy feed. i used the ring roller to make the ring for it as well as a few other projects with good results. mine was $64 before shipping. but i have had it for a wile .
    all in all i think its a great tool, just as nice as the $800 one.
    here is a pic of the handle.
    I BLEED MILLER BLUE!
    GROUNDED IN FAITH!