Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default To use epoxy on anchor bolts ?

Yes or no ? Installing a lift, the guy helping me installing it said to, but I also have the manual and it never mentions anything about that. Can it hurt to use it ?

Quote Originally Posted by 90blackcrx View Post
    Yes or no ? Installing a lift, the guy helping me installing it said to, but I also have the manual and it never mentions anything about that. Can it hurt to use it ?
    Can't hurt. Everybody I know who owns a lift, including myself, has epoxied the anchor bolts. Also, helps keep them from rusting if you service cars that are bringing in snow/road salt up here in the north.

So just concrete epoxy ?

What kind of anchors are you using? I would stay away from lead anchors, they tend to work loose. Does the manual recommend a specific anchor?
    When I was drilling, we used an anchor system that had the glue and sand mix in a glass tube that we would drop in the hole, then you pound the anchor bolt in and it beaks the tube and sets everything up. I can't remember the name of them but they were very strong.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

You could use epoxy. I would just use the "wedge it" style anchors. I would use the longest I could and the largest diameter that will fit through the holes.

If you already have epoxy or if using epoxy would give you peace of mind, then by all means use it.

Just my thoughts.

properly used epoxied is an excellent anchor. used them in commercial construction all the time. just be shore to give them a good 24Hrs to fully set up. and don't forget to blow out the hole before installing.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Sorry about the confusion of my reply!

I did not mean use epoxy alone to glue a bolt into the concrete! The epoxy is used in conjunction with the proper required concrete anchors.

such as these: (I used 3/4" x 6" anchors on mine)
    Attached Images Attached Images

The hilti epoxy is great! The pull out strength is probably several times higher (3-5X+)than the Psi rating on the concrete. We use it all the time to reset misplaced column anchor bolts and tie in rebar to existing concrete. You do have to blow out the hole and we use a small bottle brush to scrub the holes alittle. You want a good clean bond to the concrete. Cure time is also critical.

That said we use a lot of wedge anchors for secuing brackets and forms. There are even some really good drill and screw/bolt options available for smaller projects. (Tapcons are great, dont know how I ever survived without them!) I have some bolts that work on the same principle but can't find the info on pull out strength so won't suggest them for a lift, but they go in and out great in hollow block and conc. Just the thing for securing braces and brackets and are easily removable for temp use.

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    (Tapcons are great, dont know how I ever survived without them!) I have some bolts that work on the same principle but can't find the info on pull out strength so won't suggest them for a lift, but they go in and out great in hollow block and conc. Just the thing for securing braces and brackets and are easily removable for temp use.
    The thing I don't like about Tapcons is they seem to snap off easy if you screw them down a little to tight. The largest ones I have used is 1/4" dia.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Exclamation

TS-Off-Road Sorry about the confusion of my reply!

I did not mean use epoxy alone to glue a bolt into the concrete! The epoxy is used in conjunction with the proper required concrete anchors.

such as these: (I used 3/4" x 6" anchors on mine)

BAD IDEA don't mix systems, its an epoxied joint or a compression joint. adding epoxied to a compression joint will not add to its hold but rather defeat it. stick to one or the other.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES