Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Plasma CNC table

To get more utility (and income) out of my Miiler Spectrum plasma cutter, I recently purchased a CNC Plasma Cutting Table. I can take 2D drawings to a finished cut product. My incentive to you is 10% of your sale.

Steve

Steve,

Where are you located?

Jim Douglas

What plasma table did you go with?
    It would also be benificial to the forum if you filled in some information in your User CP and let us know what part of the country you are in It helps fill in the blanks on where you are comming from & going to.
    Laurence
    TO MUCH BLUE TO LIST

I'd like to know what Plasma setup you went with as well. I've been looking at the PlasmaCAM set up for some time now and am thinking about going with it. www.plasmacam.com

Does anyone own or operate one of these...I'd like some opinions on them before I buy..

Quote Originally Posted by WeldTeach
    Does anyone own or operate one of these...I'd like some opinions on them before I buy..

I am currently attending a tech school and we have a PlasmaCam table. we just traded in the old model on a brand new one (the old one broke down but it was 5 or 6 years old) with the digital hight control. I actually just got it up and running today and havent used one much but everyone at the school is really pleased with it and i have seen some of the stuff they cut with it in the past and it is really neat. so far the only complaint i have is that the program for making drawings is a little under capeable but then again i am used to useing autocad for drawing parts. and for an extra bonus SO promotes them and if you have ever used any SO tools you know they know what they are doing! I am working on getting some pics so as soon as i do (within the next week) i will post some on here and show you the shop and some projects i am working on and projects cut out on the plasmacam

Hope this helps out. Nick

Quote Originally Posted by FABRAT
    I am currently attending a tech school and we have a PlasmaCam table. we just traded in the old model on a brand new one (the old one broke down but it was 5 or 6 years old) with the digital hight control. I actually just got it up and running today and havent used one much but everyone at the school is really pleased with it and i have seen some of the stuff they cut with it in the past and it is really neat. so far the only complaint i have is that the program for making drawings is a little under capeable but then again i am used to useing autocad for drawing parts. and for an extra bonus SO promotes them and if you have ever used any SO tools you know they know what they are doing! I am working on getting some pics so as soon as i do (within the next week) i will post some on here and show you the shop and some projects i am working on and projects cut out on the plasmacam

Hope this helps out. Nick
    After you get a few hours on the plasma cam I'd be interested to know what you think. Do you think the construction of the table itself is sturdy? My other hesistation is the software package...my students do alot of drawing with AutoCAD and Rhino and I'd love to be able to import drawings easily and cut them....Keep me posted my probably going to order one at the end of the school year so I can play with it over the summer and then get the kids cutting on it in the fall.

Default program info

the program is limited as far as AutoCAD is concerned. i have not had any luck with importing an AutoCAD file but you can import files saved as Bitmap (.bmp) files. they must be saved as a 256 color or less bitmap however. so you could scan in an AutoCAD drawing after it has been ploted and then save the scan as a .bmp and import it. one plus to the program is that it is small as far as taking up space on a hardrive and you can make copys of it on a cd burner and send it home with students to put on their computers at home so they can draw projects and have them all ready to go and bring them on a disc or jump drive and they are ready to cut. i have the plasmacam program on my computer so i can draw in my spare time and if i get somthing i like i can take it to school and cut it. beats waiting for a computer and i am sure most of you know the good ideas dont always come at the best time .

as far as the table construction goes it is very solid and one person can set most if not all of the whole thing up themselves and their is a step by step video with the machine showing the entire process. the vidio also shows the setup for you plasma machine as well. their is some wireing involved on the internals of the machine and if you do it as they recomend they send a jumper so you can still use the machine as a hand unit (pretty handy in a small shop).

this is a picture of my schools plaque thing cut out on the plasmacam...the old one...the new one is supposed to be even better. sorry its so big...not quite sure how to fix that
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FABRAT; 02-12-2006 at 08:02 PM.
    HAVE...
    Hobart 135 (set up for gas)
    Victor torch
    DeWalt chop saw
    LUST....
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 375
    Millermatic 210 or 251 (preferably the 251 )

is there any alternative cheaper than the plasma cam?

Quote Originally Posted by t0rchwelder
    is there any alternative cheaper than the plasma cam?
    Running a high school metals/manufacturing program it seems like I've priced out everything in the last few years. The PlasmaCAM machine at plasmacam.com runs in the neighborhood of 8-9k which sounds step but the applications of the machine is almost limitless. I've priced alot of other other automated plasma cutting tables and this seems to be the bargin of the lot.